1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

OCR Modern World B results

Discussion in 'History' started by johistory, Aug 24, 2012.

1. Hello everyone. I read with interest the problems with AQA that people have had. We follow OCR Modern World B and have had the worst results in 12 years of teaching! I am so disappointed and the pupils are devastated. Has anyone else had a problem, particularly with the Britain A972 paper?

2. Hello everyone. I read with interest the problems with AQA that people have had. We follow OCR Modern World B and have had the worst results in 12 years of teaching! I am so disappointed and the pupils are devastated. Has anyone else had a problem, particularly with the Britain A972 paper?

3. Normal

false
    false
    false

EN-GB
    X-NONE
    X-NONE

MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

/* Style Definitions */
    table.MsoNormalTable
    {mso-style-name:"Table Normal";
    mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;
    mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;
    mso-style-noshow:yes;
    mso-style-priority:99;
    mso-style-qformat:yes;
    mso-style-parent:"";
    mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt;
    mso-para-margin-top:0cm;
    mso-para-margin-right:0cm;
    mso-para-margin-bottom:10.0pt;
    mso-para-margin-left:0cm;
    line-height:115%;
    mso-pagination:widow-orphan;
    font-size:11.0pt;
    font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";
    mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri;
    mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin;
    mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";
    mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast;
    mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri;
    mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;
    mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman";
    mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;}

Our
    A-C has fallen to 60% and we appear to have same issues, and are struggling to
    find answers. I am not the HoD and so have less access to data until back in
    school but am trying to collect some anecdotal evidence to back up my hunch
    that this is a problem for many, not just our school.

4. annajordan

annajordan New commenter

We didn't have a problem with Paper 2 - it is our Paper 1 that I think is a bit down on what I expected. Not catastrophic results, but not quite what I hoped for. I've also thought about moving to AQA but suspect it would make no difference. Would love to know what people think of the OCR controlled assessment, compared to the old style coursework - do your students do better or worse now?

5. I don't think that there was a problem overall with OCR as, through looking at the Interchange, I can see that our results were dreadful compared to the national figures for OCR and not just compared to our own centre in previous years. Therefore, clearly there were other schools that did significantly better.
    I agree there were some tricky questions on the papers but there often are with OCR and what I am struggling to understand is why our students this year have done so badly. We have taught these units for years and have done nothing different which would result in our students being less well prepared.
    I am hoping to find some serious problems with the marking when I recall some scripts which would justify a remark of the whole lot although I won't hold my breath.
    I am very reluctant to make any drastic changes or change boards based on just one bad set of results but what worries me the most is that without knowing where we went wrong, how do we prevent it happening again?

6. Not as many A*s as previous years but still generally good scores in the British Depth Study Paper and the German Depth/Cold War. However we may struggle with the current (nearly Y11) Y10 as their coursework (ContAss) marks have all come back marked down by 4. Has anyone else experienced this?

7. Hi,

My year 11s had their controlled assessments marked down by 1-3 marks, for a number of kids this was the difference between a c and a d. I have read the moderators report and it is glowing and the mark adjustment report states 'no adjustment', I am some what bemused and angry with ocr! We haven't contacted ocr yet but I can assure you we will be!!

8. Hi. We have discovered the same thing. It is with the UMS marks and it affects band 2 3 and top part of band 4. I have looked at the raw scores for the CA last year and this and they differ by about 10%. Much harder to get a C this year and the D band is very big. Check it out. We are going down the paper recall, remark line as well but as previous people have said, don't hold out much hope. Generally, we are happy with the CA as we feel it provides a more accurate reflection of the ability of the pupils.