1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

OCR Level 3 Nationals in ICT Vs Edexcel BTEC Level 3 Nationals

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by Training_2_Teach, Nov 12, 2010.

1. Training_2_Teach

Training_2_Teach New commenter

We launched the BTEC Level 3 Nationals in ICT from Sept this year, We are a joint sixth form with another school in the same locality and it has been suggested to the management that we offer the OCR Level 3 Nationals from next year.

I need to know more about the OCR Level 3 Nationals and whether it is a good follow on from the Level 2. Also is the course itself much simplar than the BTEC - i.e. is it more suitable for the lower ability students wanting to take a Level 3 course in ICT after completing the OCR Level 2 Nationals?

2. Training_2_Teach

Training_2_Teach New commenter

We launched the BTEC Level 3 Nationals in ICT from Sept this year, We are a joint sixth form with another school in the same locality and it has been suggested to the management that we offer the OCR Level 3 Nationals from next year.

I need to know more about the OCR Level 3 Nationals and whether it is a good follow on from the Level 2. Also is the course itself much simplar than the BTEC - i.e. is it more suitable for the lower ability students wanting to take a Level 3 course in ICT after completing the OCR Level 2 Nationals?

3. We have just started doing the L3 Nationals this year and I wouldn't say it was simple at all - some of the optional units are really quite in depth and will stretch students - especially if they expect it to be a simple step up from L2.

4. yes some of the material can be surprisingly in depth. we have all of our year 9s on level 3 (they complete and pass the level 2 at the end of year 8) and they are finding the step up quite difficult. they are very good at things like copying from the board and print-screening after level 2, but now they are in a totally different league. still - i am confident i can get them making good progress and get a level 3 qualification in the bag by the end of year 10.

5. DEmsley

DEmsley New commenter

We're looking at this instead of iMedia for our G&T in Y10 who have finished L2 Nationals.
    @tosbrown - can I ask how you're getting round the fact that this is not approved for Pre-16 students or is this treat as "advised" rather than a necessary approval?
    You have *all* your Y9 on this? Are you selective in your intake?
    Cheers

6. I'm sure tosbrown is doing his usual ... have a read of quotes like:
    Source: https://community.tes.co.uk/forums/p/471167/6571631.aspx
    to see what I mean.