1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

OCR Help!

Discussion in 'Media studies' started by Devon-Rik, Aug 23, 2011.

1. Hello, I am a head of faculty that happens to include media studies. We have been left in the lurch by our previous head of department and as so we have nothing in the way of a SOW. We have an NQT starting in September and I want to be able to give him some form of structure and teaching ideas to get started. He will be delivering unit G324 and so any teaching ideas, SOW's, thoughts on structure would be really appreciated.

2. If he's doing the Advanced Portfolio then there's little around in terms of Schemes of Work as it's mostly practical. Does he know which brief he's going to be doing? There are 10 to choose from including music videos, trailers, websites and so on. If he looks at the OCR media blog (www.getaheadocrmedia.blogspot.com) then he'll find links to other schools' blogs which show the coursework processes. This should give him some ideas in terms of what to follow and what the kids need to produce. Also by A2 they should be familiar with how to structure a piece of coursework from AS which might help.

3. ThereAreBunniesInMyHead

ThereAreBunniesInMyHead Occasional commenter

Dylan83 is right, there's not much around in terms of structure. We do Music Videos for this unit although there's loads of other choices.. If he's new to this its probably best to only offer the students one choice this year to keep things simple.

If you message me your email address I can send you the list of pre-production tasks I get my students to do for music videos. All their pre-production tasks must be digital rather than on paper so I get my students to set up their own blogs on www.blogger.com and then we send the blog address for each student off to the examiner along with the DVD containing their music videos. (They put their evaluations on the blog as well).

Above all I would just say don't underestimate the time it takes to complete this practical work (as the deadline is early January) and I would suggest that they work on the pre-production / research tasks at the same time as the production work otherwise they wont get it all done in time.

4. We submit in June -they do the exam in January and we find this works well; they just have to have done a rough cut of their video by January in order to discuss it in Sec A of the exam