1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

OCR GCSE Vocal compositions

Discussion in 'Music' started by natalieaa, Mar 1, 2011.

1. Hi all,
    If a student chooses to compose a vocal piece for thier composition (pop ballad, lied or a piece influenced by their solo performance piece) can they use already written words, e.g. a poem?

Thanks!

2. One of my pupils has written an SSA piece (for her second composition - not linked)... I don't think vocal pieces need to be in the style of a pop ballad or lied (at least I hope not!). I was initially worried as it says you can write a second piece for two or more instruments but not sure if vocals were included in that, - however reading on further it seems that within the entire syllabus it states that voices are to be treated as instruments. She has made up her own words (she loves poetry!) but I am sure its fine if you use already written words - after all its the music and the word setting the examiners are interested in not the words themselves I guess.

3. Red wine fan

Red wine fan New commenter

A couple of this year's group have composed songs and I have advised them to state in their commentary or performance log where the words came from. As asdmumandteacher says, it's the setting rather than the lyrics themselves that we should be marking.

4. Phew just had response from OCR and they said that the styles written in the syllabus for AoS2 are only guidelines and that it is the 'shared music' aspect they are interested in not imitations of the styles in the syllabus...Phew!