1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

OCR gcse Spanish

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by moonlight35, Apr 13, 2011.

1. I am applying for a job where they do OCR and I have and will continue looking at the specification on the OCR website (I find this quite dense) but I would like to know in plain English how much has it changed. Is the listening component the only tiered one? Could anyone give a summary of the major changes?

Thanks a lot

2. Linguo24

Linguo24 New commenter

I believe Reading and Listening are both tiered. Writing and Speaking are now done through Controlled Assessment where a pupil, after a few weeks studying a topic, can do a writing and/or a speaking task on it, which they prepare in class with all sorts of resources available to them, doing the task under exam-type conditions using only the teacher's suggestion sheet, the pupil's own notes and a dictionary. They have up to an hour for the final task-taking session. To get from C to A* grades pupils must write an average of between 350 to 600 words over the two pieces they submit. Some schools only do two writing pieces and two speaking tests and submit them while others, I believe, do a number of writings and speakings and send off the best two of each.

3. Thank you for that. The place I am working at at the moment goes only up to year 8 included so I need to learn it all about OCR!