1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

OCR GCSE Revision - help/advice needed

Discussion in 'Music' started by GeneralDoyle, Feb 14, 2012.

1. Can anyone help?

I'm an NQT and am the only music teacher in my school. I'm doing revision for the OCR listening paper with my Year 11s at the minute but finding it a struggle. The students are not very receptive to me as their new teacher and really need to do a lot of revision; I've tried everything I can think of, but still get very little response from them. I've made card sort games where they need to sort, discuss and trade relevant information; I've also made revision games where they have a selection of musical characteristics etc and need to match them with places and topics placed all around the room. I thought if I could inject a bit of fun and discussion into the revision sessions they'd start getting more involved, but they seem to hate anything that makes them talk to each other about music. I've also tried straight-forward revision lessons followed by test questions but again, nothing from them. Has anyone got any other ideas of what I could do to get them engaging with revision, any other revision tools or games I could try.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice.

2. think you've done enough already! Are quite a few resources on the TES for OCR but if the students are giving you anything back then I wouldn't waste any more time creating all dancing/singing resources etc.

3. I agree you've done loads for them. Mine hate revision as well. However I have got a better response with a star chart - they are competing for an Easter egg, stars get awarded for good answers, effort answering questions, etc. lollipops as extra rewards and for the topics they struggle with. These were their ideas as I said I know you hate it, but what would make it more bearable and these were the main two things they suggested. However the thing that has made the most difference is showing them their individual marks and showing them what will happen if they improve their listening or if they had a dismal listening exam, it either shocked them, or they realised they could go up a grade, and I've had a better response since.

4. Thanks for the responses.
    The star chart sounds like a good idea, I might give that a try. The thing is, I've asked them so many times how they would like to do the revision and I've got nothing from them, they just sit there looking at their shoes. I'll do some more listening questions with them and go through what can happen to their grade if they work on improving and engaging more with the material and what will happen if they don't. Thanks again.

5. Hi
    I took over a group last Easter and had a really difficult time with them. There are 13 - all A - Bs. However, they don't like the none practical lessons (eg. not playing an instrument.composing on a computer) and I have to do soo many resources and games for them it's taking me ages.
    I have printed off a monopoly board and similar to a star chart - they get to move when they have done something good / correct / finished coursework etc. This leads to a box of chocs for the first one round and the overall winner before the exam.
    I got them to record podcasts for revision and they have enjoyed that too. I gave them handouts of previous powerpoints and revision guides to help with this. They had to use music and write out a script first.
    I also did a snakes and ladders game where they threw the dice if they got a correct answer.
    As you can see - loads of work but do feel I'm getting there. Good luck

6. dbn

dbn New commenter

BBC bite size revision site is helpful, could you book a computer room for some well planned research? Have students got a OCR revision guide?
    There is a very student friendly one published by CGP. You could send them home with the details...parents may buy it for them.
    We show video clips of the listening topics, it helps give meaning.
    Can they do short tasks using instruments relating to the topics?