1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

OCR GCSE results - how did you do?

Discussion in 'Religious Education' started by san38, Aug 24, 2010.

1. san38

san38 New commenter

I'm really having a bad year! (as you'll know if you've read my A level post).
    Every year we enter 300 students with OCR and every year we are around the 65% A-C. This year for no obvious reason we're down at 45% and I too am 'down' in a big way. Kids are largely same ability, taught by the same 3 'outstanding' teachers. We have worked our *** off this year and I refuse to accept that all of us have suddenly lost whatever skill we had before that has given us outstanding results for the last 7 years. And yet... I know I will have to stand before the Head in 2 weeks and think of reasons (excuses) for this drop. Just seems there is nothing I can do - I can't ask for 300 candidates to be re-marked can I? It seems like for each one we are about a grade down on where we would have been previous years. If this is due to a shift in grade boundaries or whatever that would help me to feel better. Right now I could cry.
    Just ranting really - any suggestions or info would be much appreciated. Thanks

2. I haven't been involved with teaching for a couple of years now, however two years ago we too got poor results. We asked the exam board to remark about 9 papers of pupils we thought should have past. All of them were marked up - one of them from a D to B. After about 5 papers marked up the exam board decided to do a complete remark free which took them a couple of months to complete. Quite a few of the group went up.

3. poppy2004

poppy2004 New commenter

was it the old or new spec?

4. delahay

delahay New commenter

Hi,
    I've had the most awful set of results too. I teach at a grammar school. The results in year eleven for GCSE are 76% A-A*. The results for the year ten who took the B602 OCR module early are 5% A and no A*. Two friends in similar schools are reporting a huge drop as well. Is this the module you took?

5. san38

san38 New commenter

Oh dear - that makes me even more worried for next year as that's the course I will be entering for then. Mine are for the outgoing 1031 and 1931 spec. Interestingly the 1931 full course have come out better - a different marker of course... I am in a Comp but have noticed an especially big drop at the 'top end' - we have 5 A*s out of 300 kids - last year we had about 15% A*.
    Thanks for your response.

6. This happened at our school last year . They remarked every paper (330) at the results rose 20%. i don't know what is happening in OCR. Our results for the new Specification are awful with our A- A* students receiving C's or D's. It is very demoralising and how do we pick up these students up and give them the incentive to get the A's they deserve.

7. We also had a complete remark last year and out of 169 pupils 124 went up one grade and 24 up two grades. This year we are happy with the results for our year 11 doing the old short course but we put in 330 pupils in for the new spec RE 601 and 604 having got an 68% with the old course with the same teachers with the new spec we only made 28%. We have A pupils getting C.The school as a whole has 80% A to C's this year so 28% for RE cannot be right!

8. Speak to your exam officier, what you do is pick a selection of papers to be remarked I think it was 20 but not sure and if more than 50% are upgraded they mark the wholw lot free. This happened to us last year, see comment below. Asking for remarks has to be in before 20th September for OCR.
    Be aware if the marks do not go up you will have to pay a lot!
    Good Luck.

9. san38

san38 New commenter

Thanks Lin - so hard to know what to do - wouldn't be able to pay if the marks don;t change but do feel that they should - unless something dramatic has happened with grade boundaries. Even more worried looking about the comments on the new spec - surely they are going to have to look at this again if marking is lacking consistency to this degree.

10. pete14

pete14 New commenter

I know little about OCR but are the grade boundaries on their website? Also, if papers were marked online (it would be helpful for you to find out if they were), it is likely that as examiners mark individual questions and not whole papers, each paper in your centre has been marked by many different people. I think the idea is that the severe markers and the generous markers will cancel each other out!

I hope this helps, even though it is implying that a remark may not bring about the changes you want.

11. san38

san38 New commenter

Thanks Pete - as it happens one of my colleagues actually marks this paper and OCR still do it the 'old fashioned way' so I know that one examiner would have marked each of these papers by hand. I don;t think the grade boundariea are on yet but I have written to OCR to try and speak to a principle examiner. Thanks for your response.

12. pete14

pete14 New commenter

Grade boundaries are on this link (page 91 onwards)http://www.ocr.org.uk/download/admin/ocr_47951_admin_mk_grd_bound_jun_10.pdf

As papers have been marked by a single examiner, there is more chance that marking will not be accurate so choosing 4 or 5 scripts that you think are undermarked and appealing may work. I personally would not choose the ones you feel are most undermarked because you should assume that marking is at least fairly accurate and those with greatest difference from expected may be because they didn't answer enough / correct questions or just couldn't be bothered.
    Good luck

13. It seems a good idea to put in a few first but as I understand it, to get a whole large set of papers remarked you first have to have at least 20 remarked and 50% need to go up. There are percentages for smaller groups. All this has to sent to the exam board before 20th Sept. You also have to get each student to sign and agree to their papers being remarked as the exam board warns that the marks can go up, stay the same or go down. It is easier if your students are still at school. I did do this last year but had the backing of the school and a very helpful exam officier.

14. san38

san38 New commenter

Thank you all again for your help. Yes, exam board are saying that I need to get 10% of cohort marked and if they are significantly down they will mark the rest with no cost. However, with 10% = 30students I am worried about being left with a bill in the event they say they're right - if it's the £50 per student that they charge for A level it would be an un-payable bill in this case! I will need to wait until I am back at school and ask someone above my pay grade what they suggest. Given these are by far our lowest results for 10 years I would hope for support but the trouble is the school as a whole has come out great and RE short course results don;t figure too highly in the grand scheme of things...

15. delahay

delahay New commenter

I actually marked B602 this year. The papers are not marked on-line and one examiner marks the whole paper. Having marked them I was sure I knew the standard, hence the complete disbelief when I saw the marks. The students took this B602 module in year ten and these dreadful results will have a huge impact on their A level choices. Students who got an A* for their geography module got an F for their RS. I know which one I'd take at A level.

16. Hi
    My year has not been great either.

We entered our year 9's early - with fantastic results.

However, we are still on 2301 OCR Christian Perspectives, Rel Med Ent and Islam - not great results 40% a-c for FC Really rubbish.
    Any one else the same? They seem to have come unstuck on Christian Perspectives. Odd considering we entered our SC in on the same and on the same paper (answering one question less) and they achieved well. I just don't understand.

Any help greatly appreciated.

17. My year 11s did great on the old spec.
    In contrast B602 is a nightmare!!!!! Grade A pupils not even passing!!!! Don't even know if I should let my year 10s start the course now???? Exam board don't want to know- say theyre unaware of a problem?!

18. delahay

delahay New commenter

That's very interesting Feene and completely echoes our own experience. If B602 is so difficult that able students cannot access the highest grades then OCR might find centres abandoning them. I've written to OCR. I shall see what response I get. The only problem is we have invested money in books and training, also having a remark is very expensive.

19. I do Edexcel - got fantastic results with year 11s and OK results with year 10 - quite a few pupils overachieved but equally a lot were a grade under my expectations.

Interestingly Head of history says similar for his OCR year 10 module. But geography were hugely up with year 10 - all very random - have to say I am feeling little love or confidence!

20. poppy2004

poppy2004 New commenter

I am seriously considering figuring out a way to move to a different exam board away from OCR without wasting the year the students have completed...