1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

OCR GCSE ICT B062 - Researching similar organisations

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by clairebear8182, Apr 22, 2012.

1. Hi,

Can anyone help. In the brief for B062 it stated that students need to research solutions used by similar organisations to the one given in the scenario - A hockey club. I am confused as to how students are to do this. Surely clubs cant show students their systems - like a database holding personal information, or a mail merge, or their finance spreadsheet?

In the exemplar work on the OCR website they have a screen shot from a Chiropodist - an example of a mail merge letter (which includes fields like Data of Visit, Patient Name, and Address - though the example doesnt include any details). This would breach the Data Protection Act if a students was to be shown something like this.

The Examiners report states "Some candidates had ?made up? interviews with the user identified in the tasks ? this is not what is required here, as the research is supposed to be into real existing systems used by similar organisations, to help candidates decide what approach to use. " I just cant see how this is achievable.

Can someone help me! Or suggest an organisation that would be willing to show students their ICT systems.

Thanks!

2. Hi,

Can anyone help. In the brief for B062 it stated that students need to research solutions used by similar organisations to the one given in the scenario - A hockey club. I am confused as to how students are to do this. Surely clubs cant show students their systems - like a database holding personal information, or a mail merge, or their finance spreadsheet?

In the exemplar work on the OCR website they have a screen shot from a Chiropodist - an example of a mail merge letter (which includes fields like Data of Visit, Patient Name, and Address - though the example doesnt include any details). This would breach the Data Protection Act if a students was to be shown something like this.

The Examiners report states "Some candidates had ?made up? interviews with the user identified in the tasks ? this is not what is required here, as the research is supposed to be into real existing systems used by similar organisations, to help candidates decide what approach to use. " I just cant see how this is achievable.

Can someone help me! Or suggest an organisation that would be willing to show students their ICT systems.

Thanks!

3. Would love to know how exactly students are supposed to "research" this.

4. I have the same problem two years on! There are no organisations around here and that even includes our local church and under 12 football club, who are willing to let any of my students cast an eye over their systems even in a distant or generic way. I am fortunate in having a micro-weekend 'hobby' business and have now developed some rather exaggerated databases and spread sheets (wishful thinking me thinks!) based vaguely on what I do. I am happy to let students view and discuss this and at the same time, at the end of the day it is a legitimate and tax paying business and I can defend its use. This may not suit everyone but may help towards a solution. I guess anyone who runs a club with records could just clean out and replace them with fictitious examples as a means of dealing with this issue.

5. JM6699

JM6699 New commenter

I don't think it matters too much as long as the students can identify how they would use particular features in their assessment scenario.

During the group phase, some may decide to talk to clubs/organisations they know, other may decide to use the Internet, others speak to parents, etc, etc. Some even went to our library, looked at how the librarian uses a spreadsheet, analysed it and discussed how those features could be used in their creation. The analysis usually includes what the feature is, what it's used for currently and how it could be used in their solution.

The important thing to remember is they should share the research, not the analysis.