1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

OCR GCSE frustrating moderation!

Discussion in 'Art and design' started by Lottes, Jun 20, 2012.

1. Lottes

Lottes New commenter

You needed to read the instructions for moderation this year!. The exam standards 'people' have made them come in line with the other boards.
    Section 6 I think: http://pdf.ocr.org.uk/download/kd/ocr_67086_kd_gce_el_ins_to_centres_regarding_moderation.pdf?
    They used to give on-the-day feedback and re-mod option too, but the rules have changed this year. You can't get a re-mod with them now until the results have come out, then the exact sample that was displayed has to go back up (a lot of trouble).... at least that's my understanding of it! The A'Level moderator shouldn't have been so open, but if they've been doing it for years they probably saw no harm in a bit of praise!

2. kaisa

kaisa New commenter

Thanks for the direction to Section 6 but it still seems a bit vague: 'The verbal report will consist of the moderator?s findings with regard to the sample seen, the moderation display, overall trend within the centre'.

Surely that implies there is some kind of feedback... maybe not a detailed analysis but general 'trends' within the department.

Has anyone else had any experiences this year?

3. We have ours on Wednesday. So I will keep you posted. Our moderation was awful last year, she was a nightmare and put our grades down by 13 marks. We remoderated and we had a leading moderator in. She said it was a bit harsh but still dropped them all slightly.

We have had no changes in our marking for 5 years till this nightmare!

4. Our moderation went well. He covered the four areas that he could feed back on (overall marking, display, current trend and training). He said our marking was in line with OCR 2012 across the portfolio and set task, however we were too severe with the lower grades.
    He was precise and professional and 100% better than our last moderator even with less feedback
    I printed out the new ruling of the moderation just in case it wasn't followed by him or us.

Hope this helps

5. kaisa

kaisa New commenter

Thanks kel_girl. It sounds like you got at least something! Think I might print out the new ruling next year too...

6. We have ours on Wednesday. So I will keep you posted. Our moderation was awful last year, she was a nightmare and put our grades down by 13 marks. We remoderated and we had a leading moderator in. She said it was a bit harsh but still dropped them all slightly. We have had no changes in our marking for 5 years till this nightmare!

The exam boards are dealing with pressure from OFQUAL and other external agencies and were all sent out last year with the instruction to be harsh, as they wanted to bring the grade boundaries down - something to do with the disparity between photography and the rest of the art and design suite. The lack of feedback this year is a direct result of the furore over the secretly filmed history INSET where the examiners were tipping the wink over what topics would be covered in the exam. There is a question mark over the whole INSET issue now and to what extent exam boards are allowed to give schools advice on how to achieve better grades. This is not from the exam boards but is a response to instructions from OFQUAL. It seems that the only way that you will get inside knowledge on how to suit your courses to the demands of the examiners is to become a moderator!!!!