1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

OCR GCSE English Language

Discussion in 'English' started by Cherrypie2, Jul 22, 2011.

1. Hello,
    I hope someone can advise. I am teaching the Controlled Assessments for the first time. For the Imaginative and personal writing pupils have a choice of either answering a question on personal writing or prose fiction. I was wondering if teachers tend to teach the skills for both even though pupils will be told to answer one task (i.e. do they teach personal writing skills even though the CA will be prose fiction?). Or do teachers focus only on prose fiction writing or personal writing? I'm just worried that if I teach both to my bottom sets pupils may get confused. Or is this unlikely? I just find it tempting to use all of the time preparing the students for their CA and ignoring the stuff they won't be needing. What do others do?
    Thanks
    Cherrypie2

2. abaine2

abaine2 New commenter

I would teach both; that will help their reading responses by proxy. Also, if they end up doing a different task because this attempt isn't good enough, they might want to do the other type of task. That depends if your HOD is insistent on uniformity of task or allows you to let pupils choose from the list of released tasks (that's what we do - it's a bit closer to personalised learning and, from a purely selfish point of view, actually provides more varied entertainment when you're marking!)

3. Thanks abaine2 - appreciate the advice. My HOD wants us to set the same task.
    Cheers [​IMG]

4. GloriaSunshine

GloriaSunshine New commenter

Thats's probably best if you're unsure, as it will be easier to moderate. By Year 10, teaching writing skills should be dealing with individual weaknesses but I always end up doing lessons on punctuation and text cohesion. Once you've dealt with the general, you can tackle purpose and audience.

5. Thanks GloriaSunshine - you're right about one task making it easier to moderate. It's a new school and so new kids. I've got their Yr 9 levels but was wondering if it was worth getting them all to do a general writing task so I can see how they write? Maybe write about their favourite TV programme or something they did over the summer. Miss my old school already :-(

6. GloriaSunshine

GloriaSunshine New commenter

Our y10s are starting with a creative writing CA so I'll get them all to do a short piece that is similar (but isn't the actual task) and set targets.