1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

OCR GCSE - did anyone do WELL?

Discussion in 'Religious Education' started by san38, Mar 16, 2011.

1. san38

san38 New commenter

Following thread below and wondering whether to give up now! Or at least print off the comments so that I can start preparing SLT for summer results and start looking at other specs. So, if anyone out there is being modestly quiet and actually is pleased with results can you let us know please!.....

2. poppy2004

poppy2004 New commenter

I've been thinking of doing the exact same thing! its like you read my mind... [​IMG]

3. san38

san38 New commenter

Oh Poppy you got me all excited then - thought we were going to have a success story!!

4. poppy2004

poppy2004 New commenter

Soz!
    Not sure they exist from the sounds of it... [​IMG]

5. OckhamsRazor

OckhamsRazor New commenter

We did ok, actually - had 100 in for resits - about 25% entered because they wanted to try to achieve their overall mark (but didn't need to according to their target grades) - most didn't.
    About 75% entered because they didn't do any work last summer and didn't achieve their target grades. Most went up significantly. Those who didn't were those who had been targetted an A* and had got an A.
    Speaking of GCSE, the message I keep trying to give my SLT is that the new GCSE is HARDER. Results may well drop. Anyone else trying to transmit the same message?

6. Our results for last summer were low for lower ability but higher mainly got A or A*.
    We decided low results due to entering year 10s and will wait until year 11 in future. It is a harder exam though- or the marking is stricter than it used to be. I am getting to quite like it though having been quite against the change at first.

7. This pretty much echoes the points I have been trying to make on the other thread of the same subject.
    Sensible coments from the two contributors above- I'm pleased for you. I didn't have anyone in in January but will in summer. I enetered year 10s last summer and it was a disaster. Since then I've taken a good hard look at what I do and I'm very confident my results will improve.

8. jerseyperson

jerseyperson New commenter

Wow- those are incredible results, congratulations!!
    Do you have any good resources on exam question style that have helped them, or anything useful from the OCR training you could pass on by any chance? It sounds like you really know what you're doing.

9. cinderellyfaerie

cinderellyfaerie New commenter

Hi :)

I went on the training in October, Manchester, and can see why people are unhappy with the course, the message was confused and hard even for us experienced teachers to grasp!

That aside I enjoy teaching the course and find that the added focus on evaluative skills a fun challenge. It certainly sets apart the good from the bad. I have created a few lessons - see my thread which work towards parts d and e. including peer assessment oportunities. These can be translated over easil to other topics.

As a dept we have yet to put a group through the exams. I will get back to you come august :)

Cinders xx

10. san38

san38 New commenter

Well done iloveducks - some hope at last! I would echo the plea above - any helpful hints on how you achieved these excellent results would be most gratefully received.

11. Hi, thanks for the well done's! I use the Mayled and Dyson lime green GCSE book and we just do Christianity.
    I have found that with some students you do need to wait until they are year 11 not year 10 as they do mature with practice.
    On the A02s i encourage my students to really develop discussion or what we call conversation (not waffle!) so they use the formulae:
    Introduction response to quote- regarding questions it flags up e.g. if the question was "abortion is always wrong" this would need breaking down into the morality of abortion, the situation ethics of it and the morality of right and wrong.
    Then their opinion, including WHY...really justify a reason and ahgain discuss the problems people might have with your opinion...i help allowing the students to have conversation with a neighbour here helps- or record it on a flip camera/recording device
    at least 2 different Christian responses but keeping open minded and entering discussion at all stages e.g. Although the Catholic church may teach...and some Catholics may believe...there are of course those who hold other opinions...also justification by quotation or catechism or other doctrine/teaching..

Then another opinion- hopefully an opposing one to others suggested so could be a humanist or atheist but again entering discussion in the justofication...and at each stage flagging up the flaws in the argument... finally their conclusing referring back to the statement...pulling the strings together and summing up the controversy after presenting a variation of views...
    I do get the students to do peer assessment and/ or give them an essay i've written or varying standard to mark- and improve...there are some good examples in the text book.

It is also important that they answer the questions in order as the ao1s set them up nicely for the ao2s so we focus on the knowledghe first and recalling it and then go onto the ao2s and the application... d)'s are tricky as i feel require a bit of ao1 and ao2...and students need to be writing enough to get 6 marks and to consider varying views but not to the extent of or the controversy of an ao2...but at each stage remebering to justfy why a Christian might think that about "ruthanasia" or whatever the topic may be...

Hope that helps...i'm not sure how else i can help...?
    Let me know if i can share any more ideas- anything more specific that may be useful.
    Personally I and my students find the Philosophy alot harder than the ethics- i thought i always preferred Philosophy!
    Kind regards.

Then perhaps a Quaker may think...or other denomination...but also using terminology such as a fundamentalist Christia or a mre liberal approach might be...

12. oops my text jusmoed around the Quaker bit goes under the Catholic bit!

13. jerseyperson

jerseyperson New commenter

Wow Iloveducks you are a star! There's some great stuff there. Thanks for sharing.x