1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

OCR GCSE Computing - Programming Project - Dice Game

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by tjra, Apr 12, 2012.

1. tjra

tjra Occasional commenter

Hi,

My knowledge of coding and programming is quite limited and I've reached a hurdle I can't seem to solve for one of the Controlled Assesments for GCSE Computing - and if I can't do it, I can't help my students understand the concept.

We're using BBC Basic to simulate the rolling of dice and then values stored from these rolls. The Controlled Assessment asks:

"Write and test the code to determine these two attributes for a character and store the sample data for
    two characters, including suitable names, in a file."

I've taken this to mean that the data needs to be stored in an external file to then be retrieved if needed. I don't know how to do this though and it seems a lot more complicated than all previous tasks up until now (dealing with IF and RND).

If anyone can help or advise it'd be really appreciated! Am I interpreting this incorrectly, and all OCR want us to do is store the data as a value?

2. tjra

(to put it in context, you are rolling dice to determine the "Strength" and "Skill" of a character/player, and these two values need to be stored)

3. See the OPENIN, OPENOUT, OPENUP section about an eighth of the way down this page - does it help?

http://www.bbcbasic.co.uk/bbcwin/manual/bbcwin9.html#intro9

4. Each of the different controlled assessment tasks try to focus on an area of programming that must be taught in the syllabus. Reading to and Writing from text files is one of them and this is part of what they mean in the mark scheme "uses appropriate techniques to complete the task". Technically, this programming construct should be taught in your programming lessons so that the students can then apply their knowledge to this task (if they choose it). Try this link http://bb4w.wikispaces.com/Reading+and+writing+plain+text+files or any other resources you are using for BBC BASIC that will show how to do this. Remember that there are other controlled assessments that are live that you can use (although most of them require the use of text files and 1D array stuctures on at least one of the tasks). I'm sorry I can't help more as we are using VB.NET but I would hazard a guess that the input is saved to an external file and then the output result is calculated based on the saved data in the text file.

5. We're using VB too.
    Just wondering which of the Controlled Conditions people are doing. I thought the one with the Calculator, Recipes and Hangman sounded OK at first glance

6. We are doing that task for the third year now in vb.net, great results, I like it. Plenty of scope.

To anyone interested, I have done that dice/game task in vb.net with my AS students as a warm up, I can send you it if you want to have a look.
    They quite liked the role playing aspect of it and ended up making quite a nice program with animated dice and multiple forms.

7. There aren't, my wording made it sound that way. I meant we used 4 bit microcontrollers for testing purposes. The pics were all 8 bit that I used, mostly analogue to digital stuff was my main focus.

8. Hi - sorry to jump into this thread but I have been teaching this CCA to year 10 pupils and although I have created a hangman solution I am finding it very difficult to teach. with multiple arrays which are checking positions, number of letters left and constantly re-drawing a label. Is there an easier way to do this / would you be able to have a look at my code and see if I could make it simpler?

Thank you for any advice you can give,

9. JaquesJaquesLiverot

JaquesJaquesLiverot Established commenter

What language are you using? Could you upload an example to somewhere? Or maybe the spec, because I'm struggling to think how I'd use any arrays at all.

10. Jeeeez Zus Christ. These are controlled assessments. Pupils are supposed to be working on these on their own yet clearly that is not the case by some (most / all) teachers. Shamefully realistic, though. I bet those who are cheating in computer controlled assessments are also cheating in the GCSE ICT controlled assessments as well. I bet most of the time is spent reminding students how to make their work look as different as possible from other students' work they sit next to, getting them to read the step-by-step guides you hand out and by ensuring they act on the frequent, undocumented, detailed, individual feedback from draft copies they have submitted.

Please report yourselves to OFQUAL - oops, forgot!. They don't give a sh1t. If only, one day, they just asked to see a few samples from a dozen schools, they would realise what wholesale cheating goes on. This is ICT / Computing's dirty little secret.

11. whcsrmiddleditch

whcsrmiddleditch New commenter

Hi "Decide", would it be possible for you to send the DICE game, if you still have it please. I can give you my email address. It would come in handy.

Thanks in advance. Hope you are still out there!!!

12. tonyuk

tonyuk Occasional commenter

Deer teechers I is an comouting studant pleese send me the ansers to the contol assesmant as i know this is cheeting but i need to pass this corse!

COME ON as the previous poster said this is a controlled assessment. Certainly point in the right direction but not sending the code over to people that may be students.

13. binaryhex

binaryhex Lead commenter

Actually, OCR have put all their NEA assessments in the public domain now, which are valid for two years. They know full well that the answers will be published. By next June, 30000 solutions will have been done by yr 11, and potentially being given, sold, posted online to friends, siblings and anyone who wants a looksie for the following year 11 to do.

Totally mad, but hey, does OFQUAL care?

14. JaquesJaquesLiverot

JaquesJaquesLiverot Established commenter

The NEA marks don't contribute to the final grade, though, so not only is it not cheating any more, but in many ways the sharing of solutions will benefit students as it's better preparation for the algorithms paper.

15. gigaswitch1

gigaswitch1 Occasional commenter

This thread is 5 years old and probably not the NEA that you are looking for so no point in sending. Unless your doing it as a practice, in that case you search a bit harder and you will find a completed solution.

@JaquesJaquesLiverot totally agree, the NEA is a lot more beneficial now.

16. tjra

The Dice game wasn't ever an NEA, it was a controlled assessment from the old specification back in 2012.

Reading this thread has made me happy though - I still feel like a complete amateur with my coding ability but looking at that first post reminds me of how far I've come :)

gigaswitch1 likes this.
  17. 4wrkarandikar1

4wrkarandikar1 New commenter

18. 4wrkarandikar1

4wrkarandikar1 New commenter

Please may you send this to me to?

19. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

Yeah he's trying to chest on his GCSE exam 5 years after he sat it!