1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

OCR GCSE Computing Level Required for A* in controlled assessment

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by Tosha, Jul 4, 2012.

1. Tosha

Tosha New commenter

Hi,
    just started doing OCR GCSE computing with some very able students after school.
    The ca with the recipe seems to require some complex dynamic data structure, file handling(variable length records) and string manipulation to do correctly. Students have recognised this and are looking to implement the perfect solution. What is the level for A*/100%?
    Cheers

2. Not complex. They just need to be able to save the ingredients information that have been input into a text file and use that data to work out the calculations when the new quantity is added. Just basic text file stuff that's on the syllabus.

3. Tosha

Tosha New commenter

But do they need a variable length of ingridents ? Do they nee to save these details to a file, then read them back in?
    My students are looking at dynamic structures and then text files withrecords of variable length.
    Is this overkill? Or is that basic?

4. Tosha

Tosha New commenter

If that is the case, could you direct me to anything on a GCE PoS as challenging?

5. Tosha

Tosha New commenter

hat is the case, could you direct me to anything as challenging on a GCE PoS?

6. What do you mean by variable length-do you mean as may different ingredients as they can? If so, then no. That is an assumption they can make but is not specific to the task so won't lose marks.
    Yes they need to save them to a file as I said, but this is known as write to and is a very small amount of code.

They don't need to use dynamic structures, only 1D Arrays and they shouldn't be using an Array in this task as it is irrelevant and will lose marks for not following the task requirements. That is for the Hangman Task.

7. This is not one of ocr's finest tasks, as it appears to be a very complex problem for a GCSE level qualification.

8. It actually produces the least amount of code than the other two tasks: the user is prompted to enter in the quantities, numbers and ingredients. These are saved to a text file. The user is then prompted to enter in a new number of people and the data stored In the text file is then calculated with a simple Maths formula to produce the output. Considering theat the students are supposed to be able to write to and read from text files, this was one of the easier tasks for my students.

9. Tosha

Tosha New commenter

Mine are using an array of strings, to store various lists of ingredients then on exit writing the array to a text file on start up reading the recipes into an array.
    I would say that is what is required, seems a little complex for a gcse task.

10. portandlemon

portandlemon New commenter

You don't have to do an array at all. In fact, if I remember, on the original OCR forum, the advice from the board that the recipe file was to demonstrate their knowledge or text files and the hangman task was to test their knowledge of arrays, and they could not gain the highest mark for task 2 if they used an array. I'll see if I can search back for it to confirm.

11. Tosha

Tosha New commenter

Ok, just using it as a practice task.
    Used string manipulation and arrays to store multiple recipes.
    Do you need to store recipes in a file, so they can be reloaded?

12. Only to recall the most recently entered data during runtime. You don't need to stack previous data.

13. Tosha

Tosha New commenter

Why would you want to do that?

14. Because the task doesn't state that you need to permanently store recipe ingredients and quantities. Only to recall them back to do the calculation. In 20 hours for 3 tasks, why would you want to waste time, coding something that isn't specified by the task?