1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

OCR GCSE Computing A452 and A453

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by Yossii, Jul 18, 2015.

1. Yossii

Yossii New commenter

Hi

I'm returning to teaching, I used to be an ICT teacher but now its all Computing.

The school I'm going to has asked me to prepare to teach OCR GCSE A452 and A453 set tasks.

I can't find them on the OCR website all I see are sample papers. The school can't/won't give me access to the OCR interchange which is where I believe they are stored.

Help! Any ideas what I can do to get the required resources so I can start prepping for them please?

Thanks for your time

2. olderandwiser

olderandwiser Occasional commenter

"The school can't/won't give me access to the OCR interchange which is where I believe they are stored."

***! Ask the Head to kick your Examination Officer's bum. You need access to OCR Interchange so you can prepare the work. Alternatively, you'll find all the live programming tasks and the answers in public forums. I can't spell it out for you here on a public forum but Yahoo forums are a good place to start. There are others. Some of your students will know so if you haven't found them by September, ask around. Alternatively, email OFQUAL. They know some of the locations but don't publicly acknowledge the fact or they'd have to do something about it.

3. Yossii

Yossii New commenter

Thanks Olderandwiser :D

4. gigaswitch1

gigaswitch1 Occasional commenter

Older is right. The CA are on the interchange. If you are starting with year 10 next year you will need the new tasks dated hand in 2017. Tell your exam officer you will need 8 PDFs; 3 A452 and mark scheme and 3 A453 and mark scheme. They have only been released a couple of weeks, I doubt you will find them on-line yet; give it tiem!! If you still have problems, join CAS and ask someone in this forum to email them to your staff email.

5. madcat

madcat Occasional commenter

Sadly it only took me about 10 mins to find two of the A452 task sheets 2015 for 2017. including the one most people will go for.

OCR lurkers I think another stern letter to exam officers telling staff not to put the task sheets on their blog/school sites is probably required.

More worryingly solutions for one of the tasks are rife - it is a popular demo of people's skills.

There are so many variants I simply can't see how OCR will be able to determine whether or not the work presented is not simply cut and paste with a bit of "reversed engineered" documentation

6. I have found a number of solutions to two of the tasks for 2017 entry after one hour of looking using TOR this evening and quite a few websites using TOR that will sell a solution (I didn't buy any solution). You must be careful which OCR task you select - I think that there is a very good chance that these two (I guess the two that will be most popular) will be cancelled very quickly after September and substitute tasks put in their place, as happened last year. That means you will have to get your students to start again, like last time.

7. Yossii

Yossii New commenter

Thanks for the pointers gang. I've managed to find the A452 and have been doing the tasks in order to familiarise myself with them. Could somebody possibly have a look at them to make sure I'm heading in the right direction.

8. I am in a similar position as we are starting the OCR Computing GCSE for the first time in September. I have been looking at Task 3, but I am not having a lot of joy at the moment. Anyone have any pointers?

9. madcat

Just do what the kids will do.

Go to a well known search engine and type in the name of the language you are going to use followed by the name of object you want to emulate

CAs are a cheat's charter get rid of them

PS do remind them that we live in the UK

wanet likes this.
  10. pacey3721

pacey3721 New commenter

For clarification, what are students allowed to have in front of them during the actual practical investigation?

I know that they are limited to using software help functions - with no access to the internet - but are they allowed to use their own notes made during the research section?

11. alaan234

alaan234 New commenter

where do you find the answers for the ocr
    Released June 2015
    For Assessment Submission
    June 2017
    a452

12. tonyuk

tonyuk Occasional commenter

I might be being stupid but are we talking TOR as in "dark web" crumbs frightening that solutions are on there!!

13. colwynexile

colwynexile Occasional commenter

Well, depends on your point of view;

Either - people are soooooooo eager to do well in course that international criminal gangs have decided this could form a profitable stream of income and are selling solutions for profit.
    Or - the next generation of coders are considered by the shadowy figures that control the dark web to be as anti-authority as guns, hit-men, fake ids, drugs and pirated copies of The Walking Dead, and are merely providing a service for them to get on in their chosen careers.
    Or - someone wants potential hackers of the future to do well in school to provide them with a perfect cover for placement within the major corporations of the world to enable them to take over the world's commercial, technical and economic infrastructure, leading to a catastrophe of 'The Walking Dead' proportions, but without the shambolic stumbling around, shirts un-tucked from trousers and chomping on living flesh things happening.

Either way, it's sobering to think that what we're teaching could lead to the end of civilisation as we know it!

14. madcat

I encountered a "leading" TOR denizen at a conference last year.

He was 12 ; wore a deerstalker hat and was carrying an I ❤ Scooby Doo pencil case - an international criminal mastermind if ever I saw one

15. colwynexile

Tricksy people these TOR masterminds, hiding in plain site, trying to adapt and blend in using items associated with crime fighters. Just as well their need to monologue their crimes always catches them out!

16. tonyuk

tonyuk Occasional commenter

To be honest you don't need to be a member of walking dead to see shambling about with shirts untucked if that was the case most pupils would be members of the walking dead

17. colwynexile

what makes you think they aren't?!