1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

OCR GCSE Computing A451 Progress Spreasheet

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by johncollinswork, Jun 8, 2012.

1. johncollinswork

johncollinswork New commenter

2. Tosha

Tosha New commenter

Cheers will be useful when students are revising.
    I don't think the spec is that big, the issue I think is that it can't be taught in a linear fashion, the concepts support each other.
    So i'm going to throw away the SoW and teach it ituitively introducing theory concepts when they aree required. The teachers guidance suggests the same strategy

3. Tosha

Tosha New commenter

In fact I might start with introducing programming - covering relevant theory as required.
    Complete programming project in year 10 then do a451 and recover/cover theory in second year.
    Any one else used this approach?

4. Tosha

Tosha New commenter

Starting from highest level of abstraction and working down I guess.

5. johncollinswork

Planning to cover non-programming theory and then 'investigation' assessment in Year 10.
    Leaving all programming and then revision of theory in Year 11.
    In many ways, this course looks tougher than the AS ICT and many of the concepts are included in the A2 ICT course.

6. Tosha

Tosha New commenter

I was going to cover it that way, but some of the investigations require students to apply programming concepts in different scenarios than say visual basic or python. I also think student swill be able to tackle the investigation/s more thoroughly if they understand layers of abstraction.
    So year 10 programming skills and any relevant theory, CPU/Data representation/Compilers/Binary etc as it arises and supports understanding of programming.
    Then projects.
    Year 11 recover theory, fill in holes tackle relevant investigations after theory in that area covered. probably do 2 investigations and take the best.

7. "Leaving all programming and then revision of theory in Year 11."
    <u>BIG
    mistake! HUGE!!
    </u><u>BIG
    mistake! HUGE!!
    </u><u>BIG
    mistake! HUGE!!
    </u><u>BIG
    mistake! HUGE!!
    </u><u>BIG
    mistake! HUGE!!
    </u><u>BIG
    mistake! HUGE!!
    </u>
    It will take many of your pupils much longer than you
    think to understand programming. They will need constant practice and
    reinforcement. Many will need both years to really get to grips with it. They will need programming skills to do some / most of the investigation tasks. You will take away much of the enjoyment of the course for many by not starting programming until the second year. Many of the theory topics can be taught by asking pupils to write little programs thereby reinforcing both programming and theory at the same time e.g. writing an app where pupils click on buttons to get a definition on the screen, simple quizes, programs that do the Maths part of the theory etc.

<u>BIG
    mistake! HUGE!!
    </u><u>BIG
    mistake! HUGE!!
    </u><u>BIG
    mistake! HUGE!!
    </u><u>BIG
    mistake! HUGE!!
    </u><u>BIG
    mistake! HUGE!!
    </u><u>BIG
    mistake! HUGE!!
    </u>

8. Tosha

Tosha New commenter

Yeah, I would agree.
    Have you looked at some of the investigations, not sure how much info can be discussed but one requires students to write low level code, another Java Script within a HTML doc. I don't think it would be wise to attempt these without students having a thorough understanding of programming, the function of compilers, data representation and the CPU.

9. Tosha

Tosha New commenter

I think you would make a huge mistake if you taught this course in a linear fashion.

10. johncollinswork

Uppercase and bold...
    You mean business! I understand what you are saying here and will revise plans accordingly.

11. Mr_G_ICT

Mr_G_ICT New commenter

We have taught theory 1 lesson a week, programming 1 lesson a week.
    Started Controlled assessent A453(? 3 program task), last term. The students have JUST finished all the theory now. Will keep revising this through homeworks. Hoping to get A454 done by Summer as i'm moving them to 2 lessons a week coursework now.
    Do the BIG programmign assignment first as it will be fresher in their minds for the language you have chosen, then you can tackle the research project a452(?) in year 11, Makes more sense.

hope that helps.