1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

OCR GCSE Business Studies - Help please!

Discussion in 'Business studies' started by patrickharland, Aug 30, 2011.

1. I am teaching OCR GCSE Business Studies (J253) for the first time from September. Please would someone be kind enough to suggest which units I should be looking to teach in Year 10 and which in Year 11? I know that 25% of the marks are from the controlled assessment unit so would it be better to do this in Year 11?
    Any advice/suggestions from those already teaching it would be very welcome! Thank you.

2. cement

cement New commenter

You'll get a variety of answers on this one! In our first year, we entered a Year 10 Modular Exam for Unit 2 and the results were poor. The students simply weren't ready for an exam. Butin the academic year just gone, all our students sat both modular exams at the end of Year 11 (they all did a re-sit in UNit 2) and the results were excellent. We benefitted from all the extra time, ability to invest in exam technique, all the hardened experience they already had from modular exams in other subjects, and the fact that they were simply a little older.
    My suggestion is to do the Controlled Assessment. Aim to get it done January/February and submit it for the June entry in Year 10. Then, enter both modular exams in June of Year 11. The advantages are all above. The obvious disadvantage is that there's no option for re-sits, but there never was in the old course and students did very well and I think there's really no need for re-sits in Business Studies when they're well prepared by June in Year 11 - Plenty of time.

3. I would have to agree about starting with the Controlled Assessment. As it is based around Marketing and Enterprise, it is a topic the pupils can engage with. Also the nature of the OCR controlled assessment is that it is well structured with clear topics provided (much better than the vague AQA one). This also gives the pupils longer in terms of preparing for the two exams. My groups completed A292 in January of Yr 11 and then followed this in June with A293. Results were pleasing so I would use this structure again.

4. Snorkers

Snorkers New commenter

We start Y10 with the teaching for the controlled assessment, as it makes a logical introduction to the course, but they don't actually undertake the controlled assessment until Autumn in Y11, once they've developed a better grasp of the subject and a better ability to write in an appropriate style. Instead, we then teach the Business and People module, with them sitting the exam at the end of Y10. In Y11 we do the controlled assessment then teach the Finance etc. module, for examination in the summer of Y11.
    We have had some excellent results in the Y10 modules (alongside some slightly less impressive ones!) which means that - for some pupils - there is less pressure in the summer of Y11. I didn't notice a particular underperformance in terms of written style in Y10 - we did spend a long time working on exam technique alongside subject knowledge, so that might have had an impact.
    However, I teach in a broadly selective school (although teaching mixed ability sets) so appreciate that this approach wouldn't work in all school settings.

5. Thank you very much for that advice which is really helpful. I'm pushing my luck here but if you did also happen to have any Schemes of Work/Medium Term planning information you were willing to share then that would be so helpful and much appreciated but don't worry if not. (my email is harlandp@blanchelande.sch.gg)
    Thanks again for your help and best wishes for your new term.

6. Thank you very much for that advice which is really helpful. I'm pushing my luck here but if you did also happen to have any Schemes of Work/Medium Term planning information you were willing to share then that would be so helpful and much appreciated but don't worry if not. (my email is harlandp@blanchelande.sch.gg)
    Thanks again for your help and best wishes for your new term.

7. thebusinessone

thebusinessone New commenter

We start Yr 10 with the CA and submit it in Jan, then start A292 and the students sit their first exam at the end of Yr 10. I feel that by this point they have sat other exams so are more comfortable. The gives the students the opportunity to resubmit their CA in June and resit the A292 exam January of Yr 11. Students start the A293 topics in June of Yr 10 and we take this through until their final exam in the summer. This gives enough time to cover all the content and concentrate on the case study.

8. I'm not sure you'll have a great deal of choice as far as the exams go - I think our good friend Mr. Gove will ensure that all subjects are linear. In the past we have studied the A292 module in Yr 10 - then the pupils sit that at the end of Yr 10. I have to say the results are normally pretty disappointing and you may have some confidences to rebuild in Yr 11... As with the previous poster, when the exam is re-done in Yr 11 almost all pupils improve on their grade.
    My advice is to do some of the A292 basics first - then we feel as though they're grasping the content do A291. It's difficult for pupils to really apply marketing without a good grounding. We do the CA in Sept of Yr 11 then submit in Jan. Then prepare pupils for the A292/3 in June 2011. The advantage of preparing for both exams at the end of Year 11 is you have more time to cover the content and you're not left with just the pre-release case study exam to prepare students for. Not entirely sure I like the pre-release material - the bright pupils are bored after a few lessons so at least you can keep them engaged by revising more topics..

9. Hi,
    How's it going with teaching this? I started tecahing it in September too and now their exams are here, it's just preparation, preparation. I did find this site lybre.co.uk that do past papers base don the A&W plc case study for this year. I've given them to the kids to help them revise and they sent me two revision guides, one for A292 and A293.
    Goodluck for August.

10. JonStokes

JonStokes New commenter

I find the APT initiatives packs extremely useful for A293, they have loads of pratice questions, crosswords, short answers and they have a huge analysis pack to explain all of the case study.
    We do controlled assessment first, then A292 exam in year 10 (but the results are a mixed bag, dont think theyre mature enough to sit exams at this time), then resit in Jan of year 11.
    Id rather do another course really, there quite a lot to fit in for A292 and I find the question papers a little inconsistant.

11. JonStokes

JonStokes New commenter

Type "APT initatives" (thats the name of the company) into google and there you'll find them. Just browse for the right pack.
    As for what they are:
    They take you through the case study and analyse it for you (its about 160 odd pages long), discussing all the topics that may come up.
    Also there is a mock paper, with full written answers, and crosswords, short answers, wordsearches, filll in the gaps - so almost differentiated exercises.
    Well worth the £70 ( I think its that much, or £50)