1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

OCR GCSE art this year - a shambles??

Discussion in 'Art and design' started by Dink_bird, Dec 8, 2011.

1. At my school we follow the OCR art spec with the Fine Art endorsement. New rules about controlled coursework came in last year, as well as changes to the art coursework requirements (1 portfolio of work instead of 2 distinct projects as was the previous spec) . The training provided by OCR was rather confusing, and when the moderator came in this summer, we were marked down by 9 marks across the majority of students. I the found out that several schools in the area had also been marked down (some by even more!). When the official results came out in August, they'd put the marks back on!!
    My colleague went to the training this term and when she questioned this, the trainer was extremely defensive. It appears they cocked things up.
    Has anyone else had a similar experience with OCR art this year?

2. At my school we follow the OCR art spec with the Fine Art endorsement. New rules about controlled coursework came in last year, as well as changes to the art coursework requirements (1 portfolio of work instead of 2 distinct projects as was the previous spec) . The training provided by OCR was rather confusing, and when the moderator came in this summer, we were marked down by 9 marks across the majority of students. I the found out that several schools in the area had also been marked down (some by even more!). When the official results came out in August, they'd put the marks back on!!
    My colleague went to the training this term and when she questioned this, the trainer was extremely defensive. It appears they cocked things up.
    Has anyone else had a similar experience with OCR art this year?

3. Lottes

Lottes New commenter

We've always had positive OCR experiences.
    I did hear from other schools about moderators lowering marks more than usual this year, but then the C grade boundary was also lower than usual.
    The trouble is, they are the only board where the moderators give you immediate feedback on what they intend to do to the marks. I always think that's such a plus, rather than getting a potentially nasty surprise. That's why I'll be sticking with them!

4. Hi,

FYI have you read the OCR Moderation info on page 8.

We have had a similar experience with OCR this year.

5. stlb11

stlb11 New commenter

Yes - I have already moaned a lot about the experience we had on a previous posting. OCR have never responded to our concerns, and the only communication we have had has been one letter that failed to address any of the points we raised. I too attended the supposedly relevent training for the new spec. There was no visual reference material provided, and not a lot of information of any real merit. Our moderator changed marks, altered rank order and made mathematical errors, none of which have even been acknowledged by OCR. As a direct result, we have now changed to Edexcel, and ended a twenty three year partnership with OCR. I for one feel very sad that a system that I thought could be relied upon for integrity, consistence and professionalism has been shown to be so easily and drastically flawed. I have several students who were safe A grades, and have worked at a high level throughout, who have ended up with Ds. Some of them have been refused entry to art courses at college as a result, and the fallout on a personal level has been quite soul destroying. After all these years in the job, I don't think I have coloured judgements on my students - I know if it's a pass or a fail, and I know what a higher grade looks like. I have never had an experience like this, and will not be giving OCR the opportuity to repeat it.