1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

OCR GCSE A452 MySQL assessment

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by jewell71, Nov 22, 2016.

1. jewell71

jewell71 New commenter

Has anyone started the A452 assessment task using MySQL? If so, have you received any guidance on what software to use, i.e. command line client or Shell? My NM has loaded MySQL workbench and the Shell. At the command prompt it comes up with mysql-SQL>
    The MySQL site gives command line instructions, but the prompt shows shell>

My network manager is relying on me to tell him the software requirements. What have other teachers used?

2. binaryhex

binaryhex Lead commenter

I spent a long time at the start of the term trying to get mySQL working in my room with the Network Manager so I and the students could crack on with this task. In the end, I gave up as I just ran out of hours in the day, which happily coincided with my resignation at Christmas (4 weeks 1 day to go). It also meant that I didn't have to spend my evenings and weekends teaching myself mySQL (something I've never had to use before), writing worksheets and generally trying to understand what students were doing when I didn't fully understand it myself.

I am delighted to report that this is officially someone else's problem.

3. theworm123

theworm123 Lead commenter

Can you not use a USB web server like XAMPP or usbwebserver? I keep the second one on a memory stick in case it's needed.

4. jewell71

jewell71 New commenter

I gave this advice to my NM, after looking at CAS.

"MySQL software preinstalled (such as Uni Server 3_3_UPX, or similar WAMP programs)."

My NM replied with a further request:

"Which specific client they want students to use, and ideally, what commands they need to use to connect to a network based MySQL server with password protection."

My NM has installed MySQL Workbench and Shell. Don't think I need the workbench, as assessment requires command line only. My command line looks like "mysql -sql>. Still not sure what to key in to connect, as the MySQL site shows their command line as "shell>"

Any further ideas please?

5. theworm123

theworm123 Lead commenter

Refer to the documentation for MySQL, the forums should also be able to help.

6. binaryhex

binaryhex Lead commenter

Yes, you weren't doing anything over the weekend, were you?

7. tjra

tjra Occasional commenter

Oh are you retiring? You hadn't mentioned it... :)

8. binaryhex

binaryhex Lead commenter

Two weeks four days to go :)

9. gigaswitch1

gigaswitch1 Occasional commenter

I looked at this task and put it in the 'I can't be ***** with this' bucket. Do the javascript task, you only need notepad, browser and W3Schools. I researched it on the Sat, come up with my answer on the Sun, taught them about the websites/javascript on the Mon and they started it on the Tuesday. Took the weak pupils 10 hours to mess it up and the strong pupils 15 hours to complete it. No stress and W3schools did the hard work with no malpractice issues for me. SQL, why bother!!!!

Binary hex I never knew that, you will be able to laugh at us all.

10. binaryhex

binaryhex Lead commenter

I agree that JavaScript is the way to go. mySQL could work but is more likely to cause grief getting a working version working on both at school but more importantly on students' home computers. We failed getting mySQL to work for us.

Yep. Finally had enough, probably. TBH, the controlled assessments are the main reason - I'm sick of trying to work out what OCR want every year, hate the stress of running these and never knowing if what I'm doing is right and hate marking them, and can't find the time to keep up-to-date with every topic area they decide to shove in controlled assessments each year. The GCSE theory is a nightmare for all but the brightest students - there are too many topics and my A Level group can't cope with too many of the university-level topics. And I didn't even mention sh*** behaviour and workload. The school hasn't managed to appoint a replacement either, but that is because they tried to appoint someone on the cheap in South London (bloody expensive area) and don't understand how much work is involved in Computer Science. But I won't feel guilty about that - it is the school who is responsible and the Head, who is probably on well over £150K.

I'm having a trial retirement so flying off to Thailand at the end of term and don't plan to work until September at the earliest, but never in a state school again. Maybe an international school in the sun somewhere. I'm so looking forward to escaping the madness. Will stop posting in two weeks but may visit from time to time, just to gloat :).

11. gigaswitch1

gigaswitch1 Occasional commenter

I have 20 years to go and I am with you, just probably not in Thailand. I don't understand why teachers try and teach the nice topics. Teach the one you can work out quickest and the pupils will be able to do Trying to work out what the exam boards want is also killer on time. keeping up to date with everything in the field is also a pain in the bum. They wonder why we were still teaching floppy disks in ICT, because we don't have time to relearn everything new. No other subject has this issue and it needs to be taken into account.

12. binaryhex

binaryhex Lead commenter

Absolutely. There is no subject like Computer Science where you have to constantly learn entirely new areas every year just to be able to teach the set work to students. Computer Science coursework especially seems to be specified by committee, and as one committee member leaves and another joins, ideas are swapped out and in according to their strengths and enthusiasms. There seems to be no appreciation at all on the workload impact on teachers this has every year.