1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

OCR gateway controlled assessments

Discussion in 'Science' started by Cscannell, Aug 3, 2011.

1. Hi,
    I am starting a new role in september, I am going to be in charge of APP. I need some advice, KS3 is sorted but my head of department wants me to organise a kind of APP style for preparing the students for the skills needed for the controlled assessment tasks at GCSE. I know there is a grid for the new OCR gateway skills which is similar to the KS3 APP one, I am not sure whether to do a sort of levelled assessed task at the end of each topic and focus on part of the skills e.g. planning a fair investigation or identifying hazards.
    How are others doing it? Any advice will be really appreciated.
    Thanks in advanced.

2. Hi,
    I am starting a new role in september, I am going to be in charge of APP. I need some advice, KS3 is sorted but my head of department wants me to organise a kind of APP style for preparing the students for the skills needed for the controlled assessment tasks at GCSE. I know there is a grid for the new OCR gateway skills which is similar to the KS3 APP one, I am not sure whether to do a sort of levelled assessed task at the end of each topic and focus on part of the skills e.g. planning a fair investigation or identifying hazards.
    How are others doing it? Any advice will be really appreciated.
    Thanks in advanced.

3. We are going to spend the first few lessons with Y10 (who started their GCSE last January and so have done C1, B1 & P1) doing a mini project to focus on the skills. This will include planning an investiogation (with risk assessment) carrying out to collect data, drawing graphs, evaluating the practical and also answering longer exam-style questions. I am planning to include some peer assessment too. Am currently collating - ready to complete the projects - one for Chem, Biol and Phys - before we return in sept. If you PM me your email address I will send you a copy when I have done this.

4. Sorry, didn't check. That would be excellent. Not sure how to PM you. My email address is catherine_jones84@hotmail.co.uk.

Thanks so much

5. shev100

shev100 New commenter

This sounds just like what I'm trying to do at the moment. Any chance you could send me a copy of what you used? Thanks very much
    rshevsmith@aol.com

6. Hi I am new to controlled assessment and was wondering if you could send my a copy of the resources. I have some resources I could send you relating to investigations at GCSE level.
    Thanks,
    email: rdhariwal@hotmail.co.uk