1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

OCR Foundation Portfolio novice

Discussion in 'Media studies' started by thewhiterabbit, Dec 7, 2011.

1. It's my first time teaching KS5 Media Studies and we're doing OCR. I'm teaching the Foundation Porfolio section and we're doing print media. I'm not the best at using technology but I'm doing my best! The students are using blogger to update their research and for their evaluations. I just have a few questions about it:
    1. I understand that students score higher if they use a range of media to report their research/evaluation. I've looked at slide share and prezi and would like to use both - but how do they upload them on to their blogs?
    2. Are there any other media forms they should/could use?
    3. What sort of deadlines do other people stick to? I feel that I'm falling way behind. They've done the preliminary exercise and researched magazine covers/contents/double page spreads. They've taken some pictures and started planning their magazine. Their Christmas holiday homework is to produce mood boards for their magazines.
    4. Most of their preliminary tasks are rubbish. But as I understand it, they just have to do it and they don't get marked for it. So can I just leave them as being rubbish or should they work to improve them?
    Thanks for all your help!

2. It's my first time teaching KS5 Media Studies and we're doing OCR. I'm teaching the Foundation Porfolio section and we're doing print media. I'm not the best at using technology but I'm doing my best! The students are using blogger to update their research and for their evaluations. I just have a few questions about it:
    1. I understand that students score higher if they use a range of media to report their research/evaluation. I've looked at slide share and prezi and would like to use both - but how do they upload them on to their blogs?
    2. Are there any other media forms they should/could use?
    3. What sort of deadlines do other people stick to? I feel that I'm falling way behind. They've done the preliminary exercise and researched magazine covers/contents/double page spreads. They've taken some pictures and started planning their magazine. Their Christmas holiday homework is to produce mood boards for their magazines.
    4. Most of their preliminary tasks are rubbish. But as I understand it, they just have to do it and they don't get marked for it. So can I just leave them as being rubbish or should they work to improve them?
    Thanks for all your help!

3. ThereAreBunniesInMyHead

ThereAreBunniesInMyHead Occasional commenter

OK well we do film for this unit but my answers should hopefully help anyway..

1) When using Prezi you can click on SHARE, then Embed and copy the HTML code, then on their blogs, they paste the code into a new post (in the HTML tab, not the compose tab). I think they can do the same thing with slideshare.. Alternatively they can upload their work to a site called www.scribd.com and do the same (share, embed, copy HTML) etc.. I use Scribd as a way of embedding word documents and other pieces of work.. Here are some basic instructions on embedding Prezis..
    http://prezi.com/learn/embedding/

2) Other media forms we use - Word (via Scribd), Wordle (good for things like mindmaps, brainstorming sessions etc), focus groups recorded on video and uploaded either straight into the blog, or embedded via You Tube using the Share / Embed / copy and paste HTML code thing again.
    http://www.wordle.net/

3) Deadlines - we start ours foundation portfolio 3rd week of January after the exam, and tell them all pre production should be done by Feb half term.. then they should be filming / editing from Feb half term through to Easter..That gives us 4 weeks or so after Easter to finish off, touch things up, write evaluations etc..

4) As long as they know WHY it is rubbish, they dont have to try and improve their prelim tasks.. I find getting the other students to do peer comments / marks for them is quite useful as it gets them realising why they are so bad and then they have to write a post on their blogs about what they learned and how they are going to ensure they dont make the same mistakes in their main task etc..

Hope this helps!

4. Amazing help - thank you!