1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

OCR Food & Nutrition - how do I teach this stuff?

Discussion in 'Design and technology' started by jennyjones632, Mar 3, 2011.

1. jennyjones632

jennyjones632 New commenter

I know its a bizarre question - maybe I'm overwhlemed or just plain thick. I am an NQT (DT trained, not food trained, although I love teaching food), with responsibility for KS3 & KS4 - teaching 2 y10 classes and 2 y11 classes.
    I took over in Sept 2010 and discovered that many y11 students had not completed any coursework. We are now coming to the end of the coursework (which many of them still haven't completed), and I was about to start revision notes.
    Because OCR exams require such specific answers I was pretty much going through the textbook and getting the students to read, understand & summarise. I have now been told this is not acceptable, and the question was "Well don't you <u>teach</u> them this stuff?"
    Well, no I don't - number 1 because I don't know it very well and am learning as I go; number 2 because OCR are so specific in their mark scheme, and its not just a case of knowing about proteins, but knowing how OCR have written about proteins and the key points they have made.
    So now I don't know what to do - eg. how would you teach Proteins, Carbs, etc. I've got the whole syllabis to cover in 6 weeks and a lot of the students are quite disengaged. Also they are very mixed ability, but overall quite low so lots of words on a ppt mean nothing. They have actually responded really well to the way I have been teaching them; its just not acceptable for SMT or Ofsted.
    I feel sick just writing this. Any help/advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

2. janharper

janharper Occasional commenter

Try different techniques; such as the Market Place or make Dominoes with the facts on etc.
    I have just uploaded "The Market Place" lesson guide. It can be adapted for any topic or even subject. The pupils do all the work, you just provide books or photocopies to research from, ask them to produce a brainstorm on A1 paper working in small groups; but there is a catch - they can only use 20 words, but as many numbers, letters or pictures that they like. So it has to be quite visual.
    One pupil stays as a market trader with their brainstorm, the others in their group go out into the market place and gather information about other groups. They have to teach their group the information "bought". They can return as many times as they like.
    Once they have gathered all the information, give them a quick test. They will be asking you for it! Photograph their A1 posters for revision. Saves making worksheets any day!
    We did this on a whole school INSET, and I apologise to the lecturer, I cannot remember his name, my folder is at school.

3. jennyjones632

Hi Jan, Thanks for the ideas, which I will try, and I will look at your resources. I see a lot of your work and I find them helpful for ideas. I think I am just overwhelmed with being an NQT in a new school, learning how to use SIMS, getting my head around a 2-week timetable - particularly with food, different rotations, rewriting a SoW for KS3, dealing with all the GCSE on my own and implementing a new exam board, juggling marking and homework, preparing for Ofsted, being a single mum and having the responsibility to care for my children after school, being on a tight NQT salary. I am so new to the job, and teachers with 15 years of experience are struggling with the workloads we are under. But these teachers are also the ones who are telling me about all the things I am not doing.
    I rarely have any positive feedback.
    The reason I posted was because I just don't have the time to plan my lessons the way I would normally, so I am just winging it at the moment. And trying to deliver the GCSE in a different way - well, I just don't have the time!
    Thanks very much,
    JJ

4. I think you are doing very well if you are doing all this. I would not expect an NQT to be doing all this - have you spoken with your mentor. I have an NQT and she is *just* teaching her lessons & when y11s leave will then have time for other stuff

5. JJ
    I teach OCR Food and Nut and have lots of resources for you. If you put up your email I can send them to you.
    Powerpoints are useful as part of a lesson and answering questions in books is fine too. Realistically you do not have enough time to do mini projects and lovely kinesthetic methods to teach them a lot of the stuff.
    It really gets up my nose when experienced teachers behave the way you are describing. They have forgotten what it is like to be a new teacher. I have been so so lucky and had the most supportive boss you could ever imagine but I see it at my school - NQT's struggling so much with expectations way too high and critism being the method for training & development.
    If the kids are working well and you feel that the method you are using is working then I think stick with it.
    Do you have access to past papers? I have them all, back to 2006 and use long response questions for homework and go through with them in class. I sometimes give out the marking scheme and get them to highight the key words. Then get them to highlight the key words in their own (sometimes peer assess) responses. It seems to be working quite well. I do this with year 11. So again if you want them I can email them to you.
    One thing that slightly concerns me and I dont want to worry you - but if they are current year 11's they should have done 3 short tasks in year 10 and a food study task in yr 11 - making up 60% of their final grade. You said they have done no coursework - is that right?
    At the end of the day - you are only human and you are obviously trying your best - coming onto this type of forum is a great place to look for advice it massively helped me during my GTP and NQT - the likes of lapinrose and lots of others are a big big support.
    So put up your email and I will email you anything you might need - request. Good luck and trust me when I say it does get easier. NQT is a tough year but you are half way through :eek:)

6. jennyjones632

Hi Jillyo, Thanks for the supportive words. I have had about 6 meetings in total with my mentor - not his fault.
    But he's the one who told me to "teach" it to them!

JJ