1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

OCR D1 Impossible Exam Question Outcome

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by DM, Aug 17, 2011.

1. DM

DM New commenter

Well the grade boundaries are startlingly low so no student will have grounds to complain about the adjustments made to compensate for the impossible question.
    A 61%
    B 52%
    C 44%
    D 36%
    E 29%

2. Maths_Mike

Maths_Mike New commenter

I disagree.
    Many students (maybe those who didnt try this question or werent good enough to know it was impossible) will have got a better grade and hence students who would otherwise have done better than them will now be unfairly judged as having done equally well.

3. David Getling

David Getling Senior commenter

Agree with Mike.

As previously said, stopping this kind of thing happening is hardly rocket science.

4. DM

DM New commenter

Sorry guys I thought my opening post was dripping with sarcasm but I probably needed to ladle on more.

5. Maths_Mike

Maths_Mike New commenter

Hahaha - sry DM

6. David Getling

David Getling Senior commenter

Can't speak for Mike, but the way I read the OP was that there are probably a lot of students [who didn't attempt the question] still laughing, because they wouldn't normally have stood a snowball's chance in hell of getting an A. Which kind of cheapens it for the ones who genuinely deserved the grade.

However, if it contributes to this years results becoming another "best ever" I doubt that we will get too many complaints from the government.

7. Plenty of students have grounds for complaint, and I'm not talking about those who sat the D1 paper with the so-called 'impossible question'. Evidently, D1 candidates could get a good grade without having to show they had a correspondingly good knowledge of easy decision maths.
    BTW, what level of raw mark was equivalent to 100%? Indeed, was a raw mark of 100% possible? I haven't seen the offending paper, but maybe it was possible to show enough work and obtain some sort of answer to the 'impossible question' that would persuade the examiners that a candidate really knew their onions.

8. DM

DM New commenter

OCR haven't published the raw to 100% figure.

9. Paper out odf 72. Grade A = 44 and grade B = 38 so 100% UMS = 44 + 2*(44-38) = <u>56</u> if I remember the rule correctly.

10. If that is the rule, then UMS loses all credibility with me. I naively thought it was normally a minor adjustment in the algorithm for bringing all marks onto the same scale, and that 99% would indicate almost perfection.
    I hope universities only see the raw marks, if they want to see marks at all.

11. I also meant to add that a low mark for an A grade leads to narrow grade bands and plenty of scope for remarks.
    BTW, does anyone know if D1 was e-marked?

12. DM

DM New commenter

yes d1 was emarked

13. DM

DM New commenter

I have heard mathspete's "rule" from various sources before.
    However it makes no sense.
    Let's look at Core 1 June 2011. The maximum raw mark is 72.
    The A boundary is 61 and the B boundary is 54.
    61 + 2*(61-54) = 75
    If this rule were true, you would need to attain 3 more raw marks than there are on the paper to get 100 UMS.

14. In those cases it gets capped to 72 I think.

15. mmmmmaths

mmmmmaths New commenter

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/UMS

The student room guide to UMS gives the same info as Pete has given, way down at the end of the page.

Meaning that for most maths units they have to get full marks to get 100 UMS. Not like GCSE!

16. mmmmmaths

mmmmmaths New commenter

Oh, Ilike this one

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=107141&d=1308934158

I may need to visit the students more often!

17. DM

DM New commenter

18. DM

DM New commenter

I had a brainwave and now believe that mathspete's rule is correct.
    I used the OCR Active Results service to check the raw marks of a candidate who was awarded 98 UMS on D1. Her raw was 55 supporting the idea that 56 = 100 UMS.
    Poley will not be happy!

19. mmmmmaths

mmmmmaths New commenter

Whoops, looks like these are for Edexcel.

20. 'Poley will not be happy!'
    I expect I'll get over it.
    I still wonder what was the highest possible raw mark on that paper.