1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

OCR Creative Task

Discussion in 'Music' started by horn1, Apr 19, 2012.

1. Hi all,

I'm just preparing to deliver the creative task next week and there are a couple of things I'm not 100% sure on so I thought I would ask here.

When delivering the creative task does the playing of the musical ideas by the teacher count as part of the 45 minutes? Or can you play them before the clock starts ticking?
    Also is anybody else guiding their students to one or two of the ideas? To me it seems more sensible to train them well in a couple of the ideas rather than overwhelm them with all the options available. What are other people doing?

Thanks!

2. Hi all,

I'm just preparing to deliver the creative task next week and there are a couple of things I'm not 100% sure on so I thought I would ask here.

When delivering the creative task does the playing of the musical ideas by the teacher count as part of the 45 minutes? Or can you play them before the clock starts ticking?
    Also is anybody else guiding their students to one or two of the ideas? To me it seems more sensible to train them well in a couple of the ideas rather than overwhelm them with all the options available. What are other people doing?

Thanks!

3. Red wine fan

Red wine fan New commenter

No, play the starting points through first, then when they are settled, start the clock. We tend to have 4 or 5 students at a time doing this, so will play the ideas to all of them together, then they each go into a separate room to work on it.

To be honest, most of our cohort like the rhythm or pitch series because they can work out answering ideas for them. Guitar players like the chord sequence. The *newer* options have not been as popular for us as the kids feel they don't have time to do them justice. Anyway, tomorrow is the day for us!

4. Good luck!

5. Hello.hope ur creative task went well.its my first time delivering the OCR Spec and wondered how u organise all ur pupils to complete it? I have 27 pupils and I'm starting to think how I can organise the task. Would u have a few pupils completing it at one time - say 5 of them, then rotate so all pupils complete it during a school day?providing I can get cover!!
    Hope u can help xxx

6. Red wine fan

Red wine fan New commenter

Yes that's how we organised it with 28 students. We are lucky in having a number of practice rooms so drew up a timetable and allocated each a specific room. It lasts 45 minutes but you need to allow time to play the stimulus through or record it if necessary so we started at 9 with [I think] 6 students, then at 9.50 the next 5 rolled up ready to start at 10. The only issue I remember was the student who needed 25% extra time, but we moved him to the last group so nobody was kept waiting for him. However, ours all write theirs down. If you are recording their responses, you might want to try more of a rolling programme: e.g. 9.00 stimuli to candidate A, 9.05 stimuli to candidate B, 9.10 to candidate C then 9.40 record candidate A, 9.45 record candidate B, 9.50 record candidate C. You need to plan it all out, but I have a friend who uses this method very successfully.

7. Thanks for ur reply.thats a great help! We've only got 2 practice rooms so don't know how I'll do it in terms of space but it's given me ideas to think about.
    How do u organise the day with OCR for the creative task and when in the year would u do it or is it just completely up to u?? Sorry to sound so naive, Its just still very early days!! Thanks

8. It depends on how they are doing the task and what equipment you have available to record. If you have several working on keyboards with recording functions then you can have more working and just whizz round and out the recordings on to a hand held recorder once they've finished. You organise the day to suit you with 27 and limited space you may need two days to complete the tasks. This year I tried to do mine at the end of the Spring term but had a migraine so did them last week. I needed two days to do 19 as most of mine are singers and I only had two practice rooms available so could only do two at once.