1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

OCR Computing coursework dilemma

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by SundaeTrifle, Aug 28, 2015.

1. SundaeTrifle

SundaeTrifle Occasional commenter

Facing a dilemma. I do not want to give too much detail as I do not want myself or my school to be identified.

One of our pieces of coursework has had the marks lowered by the moderator and I firmly believe the marks the students have been given are wrong. The trouble is that in order to ask for a re moderation we need to get permission from each of the candidates as marks can go down as well as up. There is a sizeable group of candidates. However, I feel they are unlikely to go down any further.

Some of the students have achieved an overall grade of A* anyway as they gained full marks on the theory paper and have nothing to gain from a re moderation.

This is the third year we have entered students for OCR GCSE Computing and have been happy with the results in the past.

Has anyone else had any experience of asking for a re moderation?

2. danlee

danlee New commenter

I'm in the same situation, I do not trust OCR and their moderators. They have hammered the top end for me.

However, I don't think I'm going to do anything because I don't want the A*s adjusting.

Dan

3. larathegiraffe

larathegiraffe New commenter

Yes, OCR have you over barrel. No parent in their right mind would agree to a re-moderation of their darling's coursework if they got an A* so you are effectively never going to be able to challenge a cohort. This, despite OCR's pretty appalling record of recruiting moderators (let alone markers) who are competent in Computer Science and moderating accurately, without fluffy interpretations of the criteria wrapped up in mumbo jumbo justifications. I lost count of the number of times I appealed when 'controlled assessments' were called 'coursework' and won! I doubt there is anything you can do about this. You could try to get the Head to challenge the rule itself, first with OCR then with OFQUAL as it is totally unfair and impractical but you are more likely to win the lottery twice.

OCR and the other exam boards need to be disbanded and a single Exam Board put in its place, with teachers, HoDs, Heads etc helping to run it.

4. danlee

danlee New commenter

Totally agree larathegiraffe. If Corbyn gets into Labour, I'm pretty sure he would do this. Why should profit making businesses be delivering public qualificaitons - it's madness.

OCR's procedures are absolutely appalling. They haven't got a clue what they are doing.

5. madcat

madcat Occasional commenter

Its funny, old Gove boy wanted there to be a single exam board way back in 2012 , then changed his mind in 2013

http://www.politics.co.uk/comment-analysis/2013/02/07/michael-gove-gcse-statement-in-full

then this year Nick Gibb wanted the same

http://www.theguardian.com/education/2015/aug/09/exam-boards-students-a-level-results-nick-gibb-reform

(a little bird tells me he has changed his mind as well)

Now you are telling me Mr C. wants the same... .....when Labour get elected

mmmm

I'd say exam boards (plural) are probably here to stay