1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

OCR coding a solution GCSE ICT

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by Tosha, Jun 1, 2011.

1. Tosha

Tosha New commenter

After having a look at the OCR coding a solution controlled assessments, they only really seem accessible to students using a language that is simple to create a GUI in, has anyone else had this thought and ruled out Python in favour of Visual Basic

2. Tosha

Tosha New commenter

In fact looking at both controlled assessments you would be mad not to use Visual Basic

3. Which shows that the exam board has no clue what it is doing.....

4. Tosha

Tosha New commenter

I agree ! Quite depressing, their specimen ca was a spelling exam which required speach routines! Are these people insane?

5. DEmsley

DEmsley New commenter

Which paper is this for please?

6. Tosha

Tosha New commenter

I'm not sure we can talk about the ca's but you need to look at them to see what needs to be taught. So I suggest having a look, I'm refereing to the new gcse.

7. scruffycat

scruffycat New commenter

Ask ocr to suggest what open source language they recommend which will achieve the aims of the controlled assignments. Otherwise they are dictating software and thus breaking all the rules. I would enter one student and take them on through the whole ofqual appeals process if they cannot write questions that allow a range of software options.

8. Tosha

Tosha New commenter

Has anyone any suggestions for a compiler other than VB that handles event based GUI's and graphics in an accessible manner?

9. Delphi? ;-)

10. rubikwizard

rubikwizard New commenter

Small BASIC?

11. guestiee

guestiee New commenter

Can I ask what coding solution people are using this year to meet the 'booking system' or 'Memory Game' CAs? We were hoping to go with Python, however reading the assessments material it seems to scream out for VB Express or something similar. Any guidance would be appreciated.
    Thanks

12. I haven't seen the CA's yet, but surely if they are implementable in VB, then they are in Java?