1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

OCR B603 Paper

Discussion in 'Religious Education' started by matryoshkadoll, Jan 18, 2012.

1. matryoshkadoll

matryoshkadoll Occasional commenter

So - We have been having a bit of a discussion about the questions in the exam today. I thought the part E questions on the roles of men and women was okay, the rest of my department weren't so sure. Personally, and I Know it was only 2 marks, I think the part b question asking one role that a man might perform in a church and one role that a woman might perform was a bit strange - because technically depending on the denomination, the role of a vicar/minister could be played by both a man and a woman. Any thoughts???

2. ramaduds

ramaduds New commenter

Think it was the nicest version of this paper yet. Both e questions were similar to the ones I assume they're after. Last years one on Medical Ethics was appauling, so it was nice to see that these two were of the standard I usually give to pupils. Parts a and b were slightly odd on Human Relationships, but (guessing) nice nevertheless. I presume they were simply testing the difference between 'family' and 'Church' - although you could argue they are actually much closer related. Christian Family I'd suggest either 'father' or 'worker' or 'looks after children' would be fine. And I guess (with the exception of Monk, Nun and Pope) part b would award marks for almost any roles in a Church (including choir, cleaner and Sunday School teacher I'd hope!)
    My lot were smiling anyway :)

3. I think the issue with this paper lies in the fact that for all the religions covered they need to ask general enough questions to cover all. One of my groups did the Judaism question and answered 'sit behind a veiled curtain' for 'what do women do as a role in the synogogue?' I thought the questions 2/5 were awful but was pleasedthe Medical Ethics question.

It seems the board set difficult looking questions but when it comes to marking them they're very generous on what's considered right and wrong as I've marked for the past 4 yrs for them.