1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

OCR B philosophy and ethics exam

Discussion in 'Religious Education' started by matryoshkadoll, Jun 14, 2011.

1. matryoshkadoll

matryoshkadoll Occasional commenter

Well, most of my students have come out of the exam feeling pretty positive about the B604 exam today! Those that were resitting the B603 were okay too. Just waiting for the exam booklets......

2. ramaduds

ramaduds New commenter

Yes, much more prepared this year! Full course particularly were very pleased. Short course was very mixed as usual.
    Not sure about the B603 part e for medical ethics though - not sure if they'd be able to think critically and quickly, giving MANY arguments for and against, it would have made the higher abilities really think!

3. delahay

delahay New commenter

I think I'd struggle to give a 12 mark answer to that Medical Ethics part E

4. Agree that in general the questions were ok, but am unsure as to how well my kids will have answered part e Medical Ethics. Don't think I really prepared them to answer a question like that........[​IMG]

5. ramaduds

ramaduds New commenter

Don't worry - same here! Many asked how they could use Christian teachings in their response. I was unsure myself!

6. what was the med ethics e question?
    x

7. ramaduds

ramaduds New commenter

'Religious people should keep their views about Medical Ethics to themselves.' Discuss.

8. Not very impressed with the section e medical ethics question. Seems like more of a freedom of speech issue rather than a medical ethics issue. I suppose our more able pupils might have made links to pro-choice arguments about abortion being the choice of the individual and not legal/religious debate. I don't think this question will have been as accessible to low - middle ability. Oh well, OCR are getting tough!

9. jerseyperson

jerseyperson New commenter

I was thinking exactly the same thing myself! Such a random question- I do hope the examiners go easy on students because there's no way you could have guessed that would come up from the spec. I thought the rest of the questions on the B603 paper were great though.

10. Yes I feel OK about it and was relieved when I read the papers - whole of Yr 10 in for the short course - both ethics papers.Glad abortion came up on med ethics... not sure about the 12 mark media question as I feel we should have done more on how religious figures are portrayed in film. My low ability struggled and it had been a really hard decision whether to enter them or not.Fingers crossed!?

11. I thought the Medical Ethics (e) question was awful! Year 10 came out negative (only sitting paper 1) but year 11 were very positive. Totally agree about it being more of a 'freedom of speech' type question, and my low abilities will certainly not have got it. Very happy we've sat them for short course this year - most will just be re-sitting next year - with top set being taken on to full course.

12. I thought the B603 paper was great except for the part E medical Ethics - I am still wondering exactly what it is they are expecting; it is either way too broad and they could use almost any medical ethics issues as examples to support their answer or they expected something that I have not seen anywhere in the spec. I think the examiner's report and mark scheme will be interesting for that one!