1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

OCR AS Philosophy and Ethics exam 26th May

Discussion in 'Religious Education' started by resmithy, May 27, 2011.

1. resmithy

resmithy New commenter

Hi everybody,
    I was just wondering what people thought about yesterday's exam.
    Our students seemed happy with the Philosophy paper, although one or two were hoping for a nice easy question on Plato's Cave.
    Most found the Ethics more tricky. The Natural Law and abortion question was great but the part a) on Peter Singer's Preference Utilitarianism wasn't a popular option it seems.
    Smithy

2. NoseyMatronType

NoseyMatronType Senior commenter

My lot had a similar experience. Most did the questions on Natural Law and Kant. But one of them did attempt the Preference Utilitarianism question. It was probably an unwise choice.
    As for the Philosophy paper (taught by a colleague), I thought the part b) question on Aristotle looked a bit odd.
    Personally, I have mixed feelings: on the one hand it irritates me that questions like the one on Utilitarianism are so narrowly specific. But on the other, I am pleased that this question acknowledges Peter Singer's contribution to the territory.
    Two other quick things : in case you didn't know, a new and substantially revised edition of Singer's Practical Ethics was published in February.
    Also, I have found Michael Sandel's book Justice to be wonderful additional resource for AS/A2 Ethics. You probably know about him already from the BBC4 series but his lectures (which can be viewed at www.justiceharvard.org ) are outstanding. His less well-known work, The Case Against Perfection: Ethics in the Age of Genetic Engineering is also worth a read.
    Lastly, sections of this recently published book overlap with the AS/A2 Philosophy and Ethics syllabuses and the content is quite easy to understand.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Philosophy-Book-DK/dp/1405353295/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1306569308&sr=1-1

3. resmithy

resmithy New commenter

Hi NoseyMatronType,
    I'm glad i'm not the only one who thought the question on Preference Utilitarianism was a bit tricky. I needed a bit of reassurance that it wasn't just me!
    Thanks for the info regarding resources.
    [​IMG]