1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

OCR AS level farce makes it to the BBC news

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by gavcradd, Jun 17, 2011.

1. gavcradd

gavcradd New commenter

I'm very interested in this - I've contacted OCR about an issue due to them giving me wrong advice about one of the tasks, but this couldn't be said to be an error in the marking scheme.
    What were the errors in the marking scheme?

2. Oh where to begin??? How about a mark scheme that was erroneous, and yet teachers were instructed to mark correct answers as wrong!; or a database task that was so hard that some database professionals found challenging. Usual par for the OCR course. Dozens of teachers jumping from OCR to other exam boards.

3. Are you a member of the Google group on OCR? Threads there abounding

4. Let me add that we had a letter from AQA today to say that that was an error in q7 in the (AS) Comp2 paper. Their decision was to award all candidates the max mark for that question because of the error. Eminently sensible approach, and it defies belief that OCR have been so intransigent, in comparison.

5. Tosha

Tosha New commenter

I'm worried about the new gcse, we have marked to the letter but were told at a meeting that some criteria were on the mark scheme just to meet the gcse PoS at weren't really required.

6. gavcradd

gavcradd New commenter

I'm subject leader for ICT and we deliver the OCR AS ICT course through our shared sixth form, but I haven't personally delivered it this year - I've done AS/A2 computing, a colleague took the ICT course. I knew about the ridiculous database task and I've been in touch with OCR about wrong advice they gave me relating to the database task but I'm still unclear about the incorrect marking scheme.

Can anyone enlighten me to exactly what the mistakes were?

7. Wrong advice from OCR? Are you mad? They've never done that - or rather - you'll never catch them out as very little specific advice is ever documented and only general can-mean-anything statements are written down.
    It sounds like OCR are repeating all the same ol ' mistakes of their old GCSE project 1a and the main project (project 2), where they repeatedly contradicted themselves, changed the advice, different people said different things every bleeding year from the year they started that dreadful course. Anmeanwhile, Ofqual sat on their fat behinds and ignored the whole shambles for a decade.
    Why won't OCR learn?
    Why won't Ofqual learn?

8. Errors
    Q6e(i) the mark scheme asks for the fine to be shown but the question didn't.
    Q6e(ii) student Luma's book should be overdue - it's due back on the 21st - but isn't shown
    Q4e(i) Question asks for the rule for the status of Cola Lite, but mark scheme is looking for a stock left rule.
    Q3 - in the top mark band the mark scheme is asking for a logo to be included and CSS to be included in the confirmation page <u>but the question does not ask for this at all!</u> This is the one where OCR have told teachers to mark correct work as wrong. We just marked it right.
    There are a couple of other minor issues but I can't remember them off the top of my head - something in Q1 about hand-drawing with a mouse is one of them.

9. gavcradd

gavcradd New commenter

They gave me very specific and wrong advice. I asked about the requirement to save data for the website task - I asked if it meant that data had to be saved permanently (ie, to a text file or database) or just temporarily (ie, to a server variable) so it can be recalled on the confirmation page. They told me, and I quote, "there is no requirement to save data permanently to a text file or database". So none of my students did. Lo and behold, the marking scheme arrives and there's a mark for saving the data permanently.

Thanks for the specific detail about the wrong answers, I'll check it out with the teachers delivering it tomorrow.

10. Tosha

Tosha New commenter

I doubted going with ocr after 1a, but still did due to the programming unit. I realise now that the same issues exist.

11. Tosha

Tosha New commenter

They need to sort it out.
    Training session 1: explained that coding solution was just a case of copying code and tweaking it
    Training session 2: told that was not the case. Told 30/60 would be a C

Training session 3: told to ignore specific criteria. Told 36/60 would be a C