1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

OCR AS ICT set tasks (G062) marking

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by gavcradd, May 3, 2012.

1. gavcradd

gavcradd New commenter

Hi, I'm just marking the AS level set tasks (OCR, G062) for the first time and I'm not sure how harsh to be on the fiddly little details.. for example, in task 5e, to get a mark candidates are asked to print the homepage - if a candidate takes a screenshot of the homepage and then prints this, should I award the mark or not? I can see why they've done it, if they printed it then the backgrounds wouldn't show, hence the screenshot.
    Any advice would be appreciated, thanks!

2. gavcradd

gavcradd New commenter

Hi, I'm just marking the AS level set tasks (OCR, G062) for the first time and I'm not sure how harsh to be on the fiddly little details.. for example, in task 5e, to get a mark candidates are asked to print the homepage - if a candidate takes a screenshot of the homepage and then prints this, should I award the mark or not? I can see why they've done it, if they printed it then the backgrounds wouldn't show, hence the screenshot.
    Any advice would be appreciated, thanks!

3. It has asked for a printout of the webpage, therefore it must be a printout not a screenshot as the mark screen will explicitly state this. Students should have gone into page setup and ticked the box that states "print background colours and images" or similar setting depending on your web browser.
    Therefore I have not awarded the mark.
    I hope that helps.

4. The problem is, that gavcradd has said, is that the previous part (5c) merely says "Produce the website showing evidence of the web pages you created.". Now I'd say that screenshots of the webpages in a browser would be "sufficient evidence" there, so when the student comes across 5e with "Print out the homepage again" they're likely to merely repeat the exercise.
    And of course, the teacher can't correct that if they think there's an error, because "Candidates must not be given, either individually or as a group, any assistance, verbal or written, in the carrying out of the tasks or evidence to produce. Examples of unacceptable assistance include: indication of errors or omissions (or) advice on improvements needed to meet the criteria."
    Even worse, there's a mistake in 5e anyway. The question says "Using the CSS file implement the changes suggested by Soschia. Print out the homepage again showing the impact of the changes and provide annotated evidence of the changes you had to make in the external CSS file to meet her new requirements."
    But the markscheme says "(for this mark) the external CSS file has been annotated to show where changes were made to
    ensure that all site pages would update
    ".
    Showing annotated evidence of how the CSS file was changed, and actually annotating the CSS file itself, are not the same thing!
    Just another example of OCRs incompetence with G062 which led to so many complaints last year. There are also inconsistencies between the paper and markscheme in questions 4f and 5a. Thank $DEITY that this is our last year with them.

5. Asking the exam board for clarification as to the type of evidence required isn't breaking the rules and isn't 'unacceptable assistance'. It would be classed as general guidance to the whole group as to how to present their evidence, and again, if the OP was in any doubt about this, then they should have gone back to OCR and asked for guidance on this, and the rules if they were worried about breaking them - that is what they are there for! If they had gone back to OCR, they would have been told what was needed and that it didn't break any guidelines to tell them generally about this point. You are reading something into the regs that just isn't there.
    5e is perfectly correct. You take the CSS file ("Using the CSS file" - the one that already exists) and implement the required changes. Print the homepage again (so you can see the before and after versions) and make sure the CSS file is annotated so the marker can see how the CSS changes resulted in the homepage changes. The mark scheme reflects this; show the CSS file with annotations to prove that it all works as intended.
    I would suggest that OCR (on this occasion) are not incompetent at all. Do you have a mirror at home? Perhaps you can invite the original poster around and you can both look into it together one evening.

6. I actually was previously an external examiner for OCR in G061-G064.
    OCR make sure that we mark and grade very strictly.
    I would gurantee that even if the examiner were to give your student the mark for this task that the Chief Examiner would quickly notice and take the mark away, reminding the examiner to be more strict.
    I was slightly lenient when i first started marking for them, but then became as strict as needed.
    I think printing is pretty simple. If they ask you to provide a screenshot then thats another matter.
    Follow the instructions and as another poster said contact OCR, or ask on here or the many different ICT forums if in any doubt.
    Thanks
    Glenn

7. It has asked for a printout of the webpage, therefore it must be a
    printout not a screenshot as the mark screen will explicitly state this.[​IMG]

8. gavcradd

gavcradd New commenter

I think some people are getting their knickers in a twist here without fully understanding the full situation. In case anyone doesn't know how G062 works, teachers don't get the mark scheme until right at the end of the course - I didn't get my hands on it until a couple of weeks ago, so it would have been impossible for me to "check" anything earlier on.
    The booklet that OCR provided for candidates simply says "provide evidence of the homepage". Students have very carefully done this, some by printing, some by screenshots. The marking scheme though, which I'll again remind people that I didn't get until a few weeks ago, says "print the homepage". There are various other areas where the mark scheme is very specific for things that have not been so specifically asked for in the candidate booklet.
    I get the feeling that most of the negative responses to this thread aren't even teaching the course.

9. Why would anyone who cares about students, education and preparing youngsters for a big bad world, subject them to what must be the shi??iest, most pointless, airy fairy non-subject that is A Level ICT?

10. Well that's sure to help out the OP

Give them the mark. The structured task states

A screenshot is ample evidence. Note this down on the student's printouts and if the moderator marks you down (which they won't) then unleash the dogs of war.