1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

OCR Advanced Production - music video digipak?

Discussion in 'Media studies' started by ThereAreBunniesInMyHead, May 20, 2011.

1. ThereAreBunniesInMyHead

ThereAreBunniesInMyHead Occasional commenter

Well they lost 10 marks for the digipak, and then they marked them down for the Advert for the digipak as well saying that it wasnt appropriate to mention a tour on an advert for the album which our students chose to do.. christ knows! They also got marked down on their blogs because 3 entries out of 30 were not in exactly the right order.. PLUS they got marked down for their evaluations because apparently they werent "multimedia" enough.. this is despite their evaluations consisting of blog entries with embedded pictures and video clips, including a version of their music videos with the students doing a "director's commentary" over the top analysing all the technical elements and how they appeal to an audience! How much bloody multimedia do they want?!
    Becuase the moderator took so many marks off for all this stuff most of the students lost between 10-20 marks which dropped them down up to 2 grades!
    Just seemed so odd seeing as we've not had any problems before!

2. Hi Becky

A digipak is a 4 part CD or DVD insert, a front and a back cover, but also two internal pages , if you have any CD open it up and you'll see what I mean. Depending on the genre of the CD, the digi pack could be song lyrics, behind the scenes photo's etc
    Hope this helps

3. ThereAreBunniesInMyHead

Thanks for this..
    I have in the meantime heard back from OCR who sent me this link to show what THEY consider to be a Digipak

http://getaheadocrmedia.blogspot.com/2010/10/what-does-digipack-look-like.html

It answers the question about how many "pages" there should be but I still dont get why in their example the front cover is DVD shaped, but the inside is CD shaped! lol!

Ah well! Live & learn!

4. Thanks for the link Becky!! I certainly have never submitted a 6 part pack!! all this hassle for 10 marks............!

5. The first image there is the advertisement, and the image below is the unfolded digipack.

If it helps at all, a digipack is one of those cardboard CD covers. They actually come in a variety of styles, some have 2 cd holders and some have one etc. Our technician brought in a few of his as examples and that really helped the students design theirs.

6. There is the possibility that question was ambiguous and referred to a DVD sized Digipak?

A Digipak is essentially double thickness card panels (at least 2 panels and sometimes up to 6 or 8) with one or more disc trays glued to internal panels. They come in both CD and DVD variants (ie square, similiar to a jewel case for CD and rectangular like a DVD case for the DVD version).

Trays can be clear if the inner panel it is mounted on is printed with images or text. They have a spine equal to the thickness of the tray or trays they contain plus the card thickness.
    Not to be confused with a lancing pack which is essentially a card wallet with one or more extra flaps and no plastic tray.
    It is even possible to have a more eco friendly version with corn starch trays as opposed

Some good multipanel Digipak images are available on this website http://first4packaging.co.uk

7. digipak is a folding cardboard sleeve that has a plastic tray insert
    glued inside. The digipak resembles an LP album cover that displays
    artwork, photos and details about the contents of the CD. It may have
    several panels that open or it may simply have a front cover that opens
    and closes. FLPak cases are like Digipak cases, except they feature a plastic locking mechanism to hold the case closed.

8. Has anyone found an artist that has produced one so I can order it off the internet?

9. ThereAreBunniesInMyHead

Rihanna does one for her Loud album. also if you type in digipak to amazon or play.com a few come up like
    Corrina Bailey Rae's The Sea album
    Arctic Monkey's Whatever people say I am that's what I'm not
    Justin Timberlake Justified

But as I dont have the budget for buying anything at the moment, I ended up typing into google digipaks / media studies and finding other students blogs from other schools and borrowing the pictures they had found of digipaks for my students to analyse.. plus I also got my lot to analyse some student made digipaks we found online as well...

10. mediadave

mediadave New commenter

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digipak
    I have a few CDs I'm taking in to show students so they can look themselves and handle the product, e.g. Damien Rice's '9' and Jack Johnson.
    If you look at the wikipedia article you can see the distinction between a digipak and a regular CD case. Doubtless some of the students will have their own CDs in digipaks and should be able to bring them in to show.

11. Thanskk for the links and suggestions. Very helpful. Ok, so as a rule, are people going for the DVD or CD size digipaks? We've done the CD size ones so far as I thought the DVD taller ones are just for films...

12. mediadave

mediadave New commenter

I thought the expectation would be CD size. It would make no sense to do DVD size.

13. ThereAreBunniesInMyHead

Well the moderator who marked our coursework last year made some comment about how digipaks should be DVD shaped not CD shaped and 4 panes rather than the 2-3 we were submitting.. so we re-submitted the coursework in the summer with DVD shaped Digipaks and got a comment from a different moderator saying that Digipaks should be Cd Shaped..

I emailed OCR and the general impression I got was that a digipak should be CD shaped, and at least 4, if not 6 "panes" showing front and back etc.. So I think we just got a rogue moderator.

However I do think that they need to ammend the specification to specifically mention that they want at least 4 panes on the digipak design as I dont see how they can mark you down for it if its not in the actual spec? Its ONLY in one the examiners reports for a particular year rather than in the spec itself.. They really do need to specificy 4 panes in the spec as all it says is "the cover" for a digipak which as far as im concerned could be interpreted as 2 panes (front and back).

14. As a bit of a metalhead I have used 'Watershed' and 'Heritage' by Opeth, both great examples. Also 'The Garden of Unearthly Delights' by Cathedral. Motorhead also do a digipak for every album they do but have a look at 'Everything Louder than Everyone Else'

Incidentally, I got marked down last year also. Annoying.

:)