1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

OCR A Lvl ICT switch to Edexcel Applied ICT - worth it?

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by jingles56, Jan 30, 2011.

1. Hi

we currently run the OCR ICT course for our AS/A2 students and are finding it a little dull. The coursework is also becoming a lot more ambiguous, or so we think. One of my colleagues is suggesting a switch to the Edexcel Applied ICT course as she thinks it follows on nicely from the new GSCE we are doing from Edexcel.
    Personally the content looks a little bit like general IT knowledge to me, but that might just be my background in business.
    The forums seem to have a lot of criticism of the Edexcel course, but mainly through the moderation process.
    My questions are, is it a good course and do the pupils find it interesting?

2. Hi

we currently run the OCR ICT course for our AS/A2 students and are finding it a little dull. The coursework is also becoming a lot more ambiguous, or so we think. One of my colleagues is suggesting a switch to the Edexcel Applied ICT course as she thinks it follows on nicely from the new GSCE we are doing from Edexcel.
    Personally the content looks a little bit like general IT knowledge to me, but that might just be my background in business.
    The forums seem to have a lot of criticism of the Edexcel course, but mainly through the moderation process.
    My questions are, is it a good course and do the pupils find it interesting?

3. DEmsley

DEmsley New commenter

Yes, yes. HOWEVER you do need to get well trained to deliver it and it runs out soon. 2014 last year I think - check on their website for this so you'd be changing for 2 cohorts, maximum. Worth it? It took us 2 years to get really into it, and the way of working/marking etc.

4. Agreed plus the A2 Database exam is quite difficult and the AS spreadsheet is usually easier in January than it is May. Always curveballs in them though!

5. Also agree, yes and yes.
    But I have taught on this course for 4 (5?) years now and it is only in the last 2 that we have really got it right. Lots of Us in the first year so would think carefully about changing if you are currently getting decent grades.And like DE says accreditation runs out soon......