1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

OCR A Level Music

Discussion in 'Music' started by valerieberry, Sep 4, 2011.

1. Hello all, just wondering if there is anyone out there teaching OCR A level Music. If so, I would be really interested in sharing ideas and just having the opportunity to discuss the spec with others.
    I know there aren't that many of us, it would be good to hear from you!

2. Hello all, just wondering if there is anyone out there teaching OCR A level Music. If so, I would be really interested in sharing ideas and just having the opportunity to discuss the spec with others.
    I know there aren't that many of us, it would be good to hear from you!

3. Hi Valerie. I teach this at the moment, though I only started relatively recently. Happy to share any ideas though. I use the Rhinegold book as a basis with other analysis thrown in by myself. The techniques are quite straightforward as they consist of a portfolio which can be the culmination of plenty of practise. I usually do a theme and variations for the composition, though I think it's a little unfair for the singers among them that there is no vocal option. The set works are not the most inspired choices, but are generally very approachable. Vivaldi Bassoon Concerto? Whose idea was that with so much from the the Baroque to choose from!

4. Hi

We do it, and choose the program music option at A2

not many resources out there...

D

5. Hi, I teach this spec as well. Did the Music for Stage option at A2 last year and am doing the Pop Music this year.

6. I am teaching this spec but have found limited resources for the harmony exercises at A2 for Serialism. I did Music for Stage last year and Pop Music this year and have found a few good resources.
    If anyone wants to share resources please email me crazynqt2006@hotmail.co.uk

7. It is indeed baffling - the spec is maddeningly vague. Rhinegold publish some specimen tests which are useful, and a good model for making your own. As for learning a couple of operas, cantatas, songs, orchestral songs, songs with chamber music, oratorios, masses, requiems etc...all for a maximum of 5 marks on the day (and better students can blag 2 of those without much real study)...I'm sometimes tempted not to even worry about those few lost marks.

8. We've changed this year to 'song' - just not convinced that anyone at OCR knows anything at all about the MacMillan - their questions and mark schemes to date suggest that they have no idea about either the Gowdie story or MacMillan's response to it. As for tonality and harmony I fear that OCR subscribes to the bogus 'analyses' in the Rhinegold book - which are just woeful on those areas.

9. I made a shortlist of repertoire which you might find useful

http://checkvist.com/checklists/79908-a2-vocal-music-1900-1945

10. We have chosen music for stage as our unit at A2. To be honest, I find that resources get thin on the ground for EVERYTHING at A-level so pick a unit you're happy with. Having done this though I am happy to share my resources should you choose to do music for stage. I have put up my PowerPoint on Wagner already because even if it's not perfect it sets things out clearly from a complete minefield of information in books etc. I will be doing the same for West Side Story once I'm happy with it, so if you're worried about resources then you can take those as a starting point. Lots of people have downloaded it but no comments so I don't even know if it's good!

11. Just noticed this conversation which is a few months old. Just started a new course and gone back to OCR from Edexcel - but yes ready resources always a problem. Have you put both these powerpoints on TES? Would be great to use and not "reinvent the wheel".

12. is anybody teaching the music for screen A2 module. I'm really struggling to find resources for The Hours.

13. I'm introducing OCR A Level from September and agree with other posts here about the lack of information/resources etc. If anybody is in London/South East and would like to collaborate a bit with planning, do get in touch!

14. Has anybody got any marked film essay examples I could look at? Thank you!

15. Hi, I am just about to start teaching this A Level and would really appreciate a discussion about how you have delivered the syllabus. I have only taught Edexcel before and finding the resources fr=or this board more limited.