1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

OCR A Level Media

Discussion in 'Media studies' started by dylan83, Dec 8, 2010.

1. I've been teaching this since September, doing coursework with a view to moving onto Institution and Audience after Christmas (someone else is doing TV drama). However the research and planning for CW will only be done by Christmas, leaving me with quite a lot to get done after the holidays. If I try and aim to have the CW finished by the end of Jan, will that leave me enough time to teach Institutions and Audiences before the exam?
    I'm kicking myself for having let the CW drag out this long. I guess we learn from our mistakes!

2. I've been teaching this since September, doing coursework with a view to moving onto Institution and Audience after Christmas (someone else is doing TV drama). However the research and planning for CW will only be done by Christmas, leaving me with quite a lot to get done after the holidays. If I try and aim to have the CW finished by the end of Jan, will that leave me enough time to teach Institutions and Audiences before the exam?
    I'm kicking myself for having let the CW drag out this long. I guess we learn from our mistakes!

3. How many hours a week do you have them, Dylan? And how many hours do they spend on TV Drama? I'm sure you know the Drama and Institution questions are each worth the same amount of marks in the exam. We've set aside 25 hours for teaching Audience and Institution, but with quite a lot of study time for students to develop their own case studies independently.

4. Hi Dylan
    No - I meant additional, independent study. Stretching this over two terms, an hour a week means we can set 15-20 hours of independent research as homework and still have time left over for essays etc. If you can get all the coursework and blogging completed by the end of Jan I think you'll have done very well - how's it going?

5. Right gotcha. Thanks for the info!
    Students have got a deadline of the 31st for their CW; photos are mostly done so they're doing the production this week. Really hoping they pull it out of the bag so that we can move on in Feb, and I've got about 27 hours after that until the exam, less if the CW isn't finished. I've already warned them to expect a lot of homework!