1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

OCR A Level Applied Science Unit G629 Synthesizing Organic Chemicals

Discussion in 'Science' started by IndigoElectron, Jul 12, 2011.

1. I'm teaching this unit for the first time in September and I'm struggling to get started with my planning. I haven't taught organic chemistry before, but I'm fine with practical work as I've been teaching BTEC Forensic Science for the past 2 years. I really need advice on how to teach this unit, and devise a scheme of learning and assignments. I'm particularly struggling with AO2, industrial manufacture of organic compounds.
    If anyone has any advice or resources, I'd be very grateful. Thanks in advance.

2. I'm teaching this unit for the first time in September and I'm struggling to get started with my planning. I haven't taught organic chemistry before, but I'm fine with practical work as I've been teaching BTEC Forensic Science for the past 2 years. I really need advice on how to teach this unit, and devise a scheme of learning and assignments. I'm particularly struggling with AO2, industrial manufacture of organic compounds.
    If anyone has any advice or resources, I'd be very grateful. Thanks in advance.

3. Did you find any useful info as I have just started this unit with yr 13 and to be honest am clueless about ao3 in particular

4. msuxg

msuxg New commenter

A03 involves the preparation and purification of two organic compounds, one of which is a useful drug.

The synthesis of aspirin comes to mind. You can find instructions, and the RSC's new 'Aspirin on-screen experiment', here: www.rsc.org/.../aspirin-screen-experiment

5. msuxg

msuxg New commenter

Also, if you're a member of CLEAPSS, take a look at guide L195 for some good organic reactions - nitration of methyl benzoate and more.