1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

OCR 21st Century Physics GCSE

Discussion in 'Science' started by MathSci, Mar 11, 2016.

1. MathSci

MathSci New commenter

How many of you seriously think that there's substantial physics in this syllabus? Was it meant for the weakest of the weak students who would be happy to spend two years learning some words in physics?

2. michelleocrscience

michelleocrscience New commenter

The content for all the GCSE's in Physics from all boards is the same as it was set by the DfE. :)

3. Skeoch

Skeoch Star commenter

....and although the specifications define what is examined, you might well want to teach beyond that?

4. MathSci

MathSci New commenter

Compare OCR Gateway Spec with 21st. You'll know the difference. I taught both. TFC Spec is an embarrassment.

5. michelleocrscience

The difference between the two is that Gateway is content led whereas 21C the content is linked to contexts. The linking to contexts is great at promoting scientific literacy, and helps students to see how the science is relevant to them. Its about different styles of teaching the same content.

If I can help at all we do offer to come into centre's to support or just talk about all our science quals old and new.

6. MathSci

MathSci New commenter

michelleocrscience, Which of these would you personally recommend to a school where proper prep for A Level Physics is the priority?

Scintillant likes this.
  7. Sisyphus_rolls_again

Sisyphus_rolls_again Established commenter

I've not taught the gateway...but I have taught the 21st Century.
    The 21st Century was great for teaching scientific method and how controversies were resolved / previous theories overthrown. It was not so good at delivering the content, though I still dip into the textbooks occasionally (maybe once a half term).

As preparation for A level? AQA.

8. michelleocrscience

That depends on which A-level you are teaching really. Gateway leads on to the OCR Physics A or AQA A-level which are both content led. Whereas the 21C leads on to the OCR Physics B A-level :)

9. Jasmin_Mann

Jasmin_Mann New commenter

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 10, 2016
  10. michelleocrscience

Hi Jasmin, Markschemes cannot be emailed as they are secure information. Contact your exams officer and they should be able to get your interchange unlocked or OCR contact the customer contact centre on: 01223 553998

Kind regards
    Michelle Spiller

11. bennyjohn5

bennyjohn5 New commenter

I have really enjoyed the P7 astronomy unit for the outgoing specification. Some exam questions can feel loose and lacking in meat - oddly enough the forces and electricity units seem to have had less calculations in recent papers.