1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

OCR 2010 Unit 1 A05 Spreadsheets exemplar material

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by dani2006, Jan 24, 2011.

1. dani2006

dani2006 New commenter

Has anyone got an exemplar material for Unit 1 A05 Spreadsheets , the French Trip? I would love to see some examples to ensure students are doing it correctly.

thanks
    b_bayeh@hotmail.com

2. dani2006

dani2006 New commenter

Has anyone got an exemplar material for Unit 1 A05 Spreadsheets , the French Trip? I would love to see some examples to ensure students are doing it correctly.

thanks
    b_bayeh@hotmail.com

3. I have also just got to this section and wondering how best to get students to lay this out - so 'they have designed it themselves'.

Any ideas/examples would be brilliant.

Thank you

RS

Random_socks@hotmail.com

4. I have given them stuff to put in it i.e. trip to Disneyland, food etc
    I have the got them to 'decorate' it with pics of eiffel tower , colours etc
    I *think* this will cover the 'design' but we have not been moderated yet!

5. Hi,
    We gave our students the scenario of opening their own Tuck Shop to raise funds for the french trip as spending money. You can then let them independently come up with a table to record the profits/loss/stock/costings etc etc.
    Hope this helps.

6. JM6699

JM6699 New commenter

Just remember with this AO on the new spec - the students need to design the layout themselves. That doesn't mean a pencil and paper design, but it should be clear that they've made the choices about layout themselves.
    If every student's spreadsheet is laid out the same (like it tended to be on the old spec) then they won't get through moderation. Therefore if you've taught them the basics, they should be able to make the decisions on where to put things themselves.

7. Well, I'd make the observation that if you end up asking them to do some form of profit and loss sheet (or any typical business spreadsheet), the students will all have something vaguely similar.
    I framed the task for a particular period of time, gave them some possible costs and asked them to make up the numbers (and showed them a very basic example).

8. JM6699

JM6699 New commenter

I wouldn't see a problem with "vaguely similar", after all the costs are likely to be similar. What would be a problem is if everyone had exactly the same costs with exactly the same column headings, etc. It's highly unlikely that an entire cohort will have all of these in exactly the same cells unless they've been fed this by a teacher. I also dont't really think that colouring cells and importing pictures demonstrates that students have designed the spreadsheet themselves.
    If you look at a couple of the earlier posts, I personally think there's too much teacher input. I could be wrong though as we haven't had the new spec moderated yet.
    I'm also not quite sure how the above can be achieved, surely it's an oxymoron isn't it?

9. I think that's true a lot of the time. I work in a school where the kids generally aren't that able, so they tend to lack independence as it is (we start unit 1 in year 9).
    That's the opposite of how I like to do things, so I often end up pushing them (with varying degrees of success) towards thinking for themselves. I prefer a "hands off" approach, but often until they've got the need for screenshots into their heads (my optimism often shows in AO4) too much "Pointing and telling" goes on.
    But then I'm still trying to get this teaching lark right...!