1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

OCD/Teaching

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Cervinia, Jun 13, 2011.

1. Cervinia

Cervinia Occasional commenter

Patient - doctor confidentiality. Why mention it if it's no longer an issue?

2. Thoresby_house

Thoresby_house New commenter

Do you think?

I'm not sure how they'd find out, but I really don't want to lie - I can't bear the thought of being kicked off the course in a year or two.

But, in the same way, I don't want never to get on the course because they think that I'm not suitable to teach because of it.

3. Hi,
    I'd say tell them. If you disclose it now they write to your doctor asking for information about the condition. if you havn't suffered with it for over 3 years the doctor will put this inwriting and your place won't be jeopardised. If it does happen to crop up againin the future, at least you now you have told themand it is one less thing to worry about.
    If you don't disclose it and it happens to pop up and tey ask if you have suffered before...it's obvious you have lied and that could lead to more stress.
    When I started my PGCE I disclosed amedical condition that I hadn't sufered with in over 2 years (wasn't mental health) and I'm glad I did because 6 months into the course it came back wth a vengeance and I was off placement for 2 weeks and uni for a further 2 weeks after.
    When I wrote it on the form they contacted my doctor in writing who told them how long it had been since I suffered and that it was very I did. It didn't stop me getting a place, it actually reassured me that if i did become ill with it that the uni would understand.
    Discuss it with your doctor at your appointent and see what s/he says.
    Good luck,
    doodles

4. likejesus

likejesus New commenter

Did your OCD completely disrupt your life during your last experience of it, or was it just a frustration that could be overcome? I suspect whether a course provider is willing to overlook it or not will depend on the answer to that question. If, when you experience it, your OCD disrupts your normal daily life to such an extent that it would significantly impair your ability to teach, then your provider may have concerns about a recurrence. If not, then explain it to them and you should be fine.
    Having made the decision to offer you a place on the course, the university is probably not looking to kick you off it just because you were ill in the past. The medical questionaire is a legally-required statement that a person about to enter teacher training is fit to teach - there are a great many teachers with health issues that are still fit and able to teach. All your university is looking to do is satisfy itself that any existing condition you may have will not prevent you from succeeding.

5. Thoresby_house

Thankyou for your reply :)

I have to say I'm swaying towards disclosing it, although I'm still worried that they'll take my offer of a place away from me. I dare say that if I see my doctor before returning the form, I could have it put on my notes that I no longer feel that I suffer from OCD, couldn't I?

It's at times like this when I wish I'd never been the to doctor's about it in the first place: even though the symptoms no longer bother me, it seems to be following me around. I'm going to have this every time I find a job forever and a day now, aren't I?

6. Thoresby_house

Thankyou - sorry; I think I was typing my previous reply whilst you posted yours.

No, the OCD never completely disrupted my life - I took exams whilst 'suffering', didn't have to take any time off school and it was never so severe that anyone who I didn't tell guessed that I had a problem, if you see what I mean. Even at its worst point, I would never have counted it as disabling, or a complete disruption.

7. I had the same issue over should I/shouldn't disclose my former eating disorders and self harm. I did, in the end, and have just today had a phone call from my provider about it.
    I spoke to a lovely nurse who assured me it was all confidential- my tutors and mentors would have no knowledge of it. She wanted to know the basics about it, how long it had been since my recovery and how it had been treated.
    Most of the phone call, however, was her reassuring me it would have no impact on my course and telling me about the support networks available at the university and telling me that IF I ever felt it overwhelming, at any point, to use those networks.
    End of matter, sorted. A friend of mine had much the same thing two years earlier when she applied.

8. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

If the OCD didn't mess up your life then I wouldn't eve consider mentioning it.

What type of thing was it? I have little 'things' that I do. Tapping a table a certain number of times, everything odd numbers, touching the walls etc. It doesn't change my teaching.

9. I would disclose it. Since applying for jobs I've had to list medications and things, and some of these were antidepressants. I worried about it, but nothing ever came of it. I thin khonesty is the best policy really, and as another poster has described, uni will probably just want to check things out in a bit more detail or make you aware of support networks available.

Hope you get sorted x

10. Thoresby_house

It was worrying about my own health, mainly, and compulsions associated with that, so nothing that would ever affect anyone I was working with.

I think that I will have to declare it. I'm going to speak to my GP about how it's no longer a problem, so hopefully he'll be able to include that in his letter. And I suppose that it is better for them to be aware of it in case it does make a reappearance.

Thankyou for your reassurance and for being so lovely!

11. You have to declare it, you are signing a legal document, and if they decided to randomly check your medical file, which they can do (although you have to sign to give permission first) then it would look worse that you have lied about it.

12. I once declared a back problem I had years ago (was a one off related to horseriding), but stated when it was and that I had no problem with it any more. I had already started in my new position when my headteacher told me that he had been informed that I was unfit for work because of this! Thankfully I could stay in my post, and I've never had a back problem again, but needless to say I have never disclosed this again on any form...

13. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

I dont know if they still do this, but I had to go for a medical before being allowed to start my course. I think this included a questionaire being sent to my docs. You do need to declare it for all the reasons others have mentioned. As you were not completely disabled by it, I suggest you elaborate more on the form. ie "mild ocd due to xyz have not suffered from it since.... and did not prevent me from taking exams and attending school" etc or something similar.

14. Thoresby_house

Thankyou, everyone, for the time you've taken to post - it's definitely helped me make my mind up that I will declare it.

In the end, actually, I have nothing to hide: the only thing preventing me from declaring it is the stigma that surrounds mental health issues. I have no doubt that I am fit to teach and I can't think that they could use it as a reason to prevent me from doing the course.

Thankyou again!