1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

OCD/Teaching Course. Help, please!

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by Thoresby_house, Jun 13, 2011.

1. Thoresby_house

Thoresby_house New commenter

Any ideas?

2. Torey

Torey Occasional commenter

Tick the box, but write a short explanation to cover it and say that you are happy for them to contact your GP to confirm that it is no longer an issue. They'd contact the GP anyway, but it suggests that you are recovered. Loads of teachers have ongoing MH concerns and as 1/4 of the population in general has I really wouldn't worry about it.

3. Hi,
    I was in a similiar situation only a year ago when i was doing the same for my ITT course because i have Aspergers Syndrome (only mildy tho).
    i declared it on the form and was then seen by the drs of the uni who declared me fit to teach (yay), after they'd contacted my dr. It was a 10minute chat if that.
    I'm sure you'll be fine and good luck with the ITT.

4. I don't work in teaching but, when I applied for my job working with teenagers with autism, challenging behaviour and severe learning disabilities, I put on the form that I have dyspraxia and Aspergers Syndrome. It actually proved useful to me as I really struggled with the job for the first few months and I had to speak to Occupational Health about it-if I hadn't have put it down on my form, they wouldn't have been aware of the reason why I was struggling (because the new routine was too overwhelming for me and this compounded my coordination and memory issues caused by the dyspraxia). I would just be honest but, as another poster said, point out that it's not an issue any more.