1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Occupational Health

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Progressnerd, Sep 9, 2018.

1. Progressnerd

Progressnerd Occasional commenter

Hi all,

I was signed off work with stress and anxiety for a few weeks before the summer. On my return this week I have been offered seeing OH by my Head.

Just wondering does this affect any future job applications? What are the downsides to going? Just want to be certain I'm not being tripped up here.

2. Flanks

Flanks Senior commenter

Sounds like your head is doing their job to me. If you were stressed due to work, then it is right for the school to both support you back to work and see what adjustments could be made to do that.

3. Bedlam3

Bedlam3 Star commenter

It is a requirement for your head to do this as part of the support for you. It is unlikely to affect future job applications as no one else will know about it unless you mention it. I don't think there is any downside to a referral in fact it will be of benefit to you as they will make recommendations about what support you need.
    Well done for your return.

4. FollyFairy

FollyFairy Occasional commenter

OH is designed to support you to do your job and from my experience of OH, they are very effective in ensuring SLT meet your needs e.g. due to back issues, I needed an adjustable chair. I had asked for one for months... OH told them I needed one, and hey presto, within 1 week I had a new chair! OH can also 'fast track' you to counselling if need be. Everything is also confidential apart from anything you need in support from the school.

5. Oscillatingass

Oscillatingass Star commenter

Yep OH is a positive and is there to help you. There is no down side.

6. ATfan

ATfan Star commenter

Totally agree with what everyone else has said! I’ve seen OH twice in 2 different jobs for different reasons. They were helpful on both occasions. The only downsides are that what OH reports may not be what you actually said or you may feel that OH is acting in the employer’s interest instead of being independent but you can pre-empt that by asking to see the OH report before it’s sent to your employer or the employer may ignore the OH’s recommendations but you can deal with that by getting advice from your union. Hope that you find OH helpful!

7. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Grab the opportunity with both hands.
    OH are fab and well done your head for sorting it out for you.

strawbs and agathamorse like this.