1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Occupational health

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by bereasonable, Oct 16, 2015.

1. bereasonable

bereasonable New commenter

I resigned from previous post due to personal issues that left me unable to work due to stressI was off work for 7 months.Since then (last 6 months) I have done regular supply and have just applied and been successful in securing another teaching post. However I filled in the PEAQ form and have now been told that the appointment is subject to me being declared fit for work from Occupational Health. They have sent me some forms and I have explained that I was suffering stress due to personal issues hence I was unable to work at the time. I have stressed that I have now been in full time employment over the last 6 months. Where does this leave me with my new post?
    Any advice readily received.

2. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

I've always found that if I've been able to pin the sick period or depression to a specific cause (eg. bereavement) which is now over, there's not been a problem. All they want to know is if you're likely to go sick again or on a regular basis. if you can indicate that the stressful period is over and you're fine again, it should be ok.... good luck.

Dragonlady30 likes this.
  3. Ladykaza

Ladykaza Senior commenter

Try not to panic. In my area this would be standard practice, because you were unfit to work for a while, as part of an employers duty of care, they will need a process which confirms you are fit to work now, and if there are any adjustments which need to be made to ensure your well being.

Be open and honest about your current situation and be assured that , sadly, this will not be unusual. Many of our colleagues have suffered in this way , and unlike yourself their stress was caused by work.

4. stmha

stmha Established commenter

A referral is usually made by an employer. The referral form will have a series of questions penned by your employer. You are entitled to see these questions prior to the meeting and can raise an objection if you feel the questions are not appropriate. You are also entitled to request that anything private is withheld from your current employer. These issues should be explained by the asvisor or doctor at the meeting.

It may be worth taking any previous medical documentation regarding your previous absence if that helps explains you absence.

Good luck

5. irs1054

irs1054 Star commenter

I had this many years ago when I was declared unfit by occupational health and then had to go back to show I was fit again. It is not a problem and, as has been said, a standard part of what happens in these circumstances. I was actually passed in one interview where I was so nervous I had considerable difficulty uttering a single word.

Just be positive and upfront about what you have done since you were ill and there should be no problem.

6. bereasonable

Thanks to those who have taken the time to answer my query. I have filled in the form and basically explained that I was off due to personal relationship issues that have since been resolved and have been now working for the last 8 months. Hopefully thus will be sufficient for OH to deem me 'fit' for work.
    Thanks again.

7. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Normal in my area too, no need to panic.

In addition to the general duty of care there is for teachers a specific legal requirement for LAs/Schools to ensure that teachers have "the health and physical capacity" to teach [the Education (Health Standards) (England) Regulations 2003]

8. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Yes, the school has a legal obligation to ensure Fitness to Teach. It applies to all teachers, and very many places do the questionnaire as a matter of course.

If you have recovered from a specific incident, there's no reason to be concerned! I am uploading a document about Fitness to Teach and Occupational Health that is about students starting training, but the general principles apply to you too. Nothing to be concerned about!

Well done for getting that new job. Now start reading some of my articles in the Professional Advice Hub:

Now read some of my articles in the new Professional Advice Hub:

Get yourself organised

When should you get your contract?

If you haven't yet done this . . .

Join a Union. Yes, now!

Best wishes

Attached Files:

9. bereasonable

Thanks xx

10. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

(The missing thumbs up emoticon)

11. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

Often, referral to OH comes from the school and, if one is in dispute with the school-capability etc-it can look like another stick to beat you with!!

I was refereed on two occasions and found the experience really useful. The folks I saw were really supportive of my situation and the effect it was having on my health. Their report was sent to me first, before the school, and on both occasions I requested a couple of points be changed and they were. I certainly did not find that the experience left me feeling more stressed-quite the opposite.

My experiences were over 4 years ago but I cannot see that their intervention would be any different now.

12. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

13. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

Ta!!! :)

14. bereasonable

I don't think I explained my situation clearly enough. I was off work last year for eight months due to stress regarding personal issues. I left my previous place of work as they were not supportive at all.I then started supply and recently applied and was accepted for a class teaching post. I was told told to fill in PEAQ form and have now been asked further questions regarding my absence last year.I have made it very clear on the OH form that the situation I found myself in last year has since been resolved. I have been sent a letter saying that until I get clearance from OH they cannot appoint me.I hope this will not affect my chances of getting this post!

15. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

As long as you are now OK, and are no longer in the environment where your health failed you, I can see no reason for OH to give a thumbs down here.

Be strong. It should be OK.

Best wishes

16. bereasonable

Thanks Theo, fingers crossed.