1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Occupational Health

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by Woozy, May 10, 2012.

1. I am currently going through an episode of depression while still working.
    After discussion with my consultant they have recommended that i am referred to Occupational health by my headteacher.
    When i spoke to my head about this, they are happy to do the referral but did seem to think it was a negative thing and then reminded me about the implications the referral would have as i had had previous dealings with them four years ago.
    I didnt think being referred to occupational health would go against me, i thought it would be supportive. Am i wrong? How could it go against me?

Thanks

2. I am currently going through an episode of depression while still working.
    After discussion with my consultant they have recommended that i am referred to Occupational health by my headteacher.
    When i spoke to my head about this, they are happy to do the referral but did seem to think it was a negative thing and then reminded me about the implications the referral would have as i had had previous dealings with them four years ago.
    I didnt think being referred to occupational health would go against me, i thought it would be supportive. Am i wrong? How could it go against me?

Thanks

3. angel09

angel09 New commenter

Sorry to hear this. Were OH helpful last time you were referred? Did the school act on their suggestions to aid your recovery?

I've only had one referral to OH but I did have appts every six weeks for about a year. The only thing I can think of about the 'negative thing' is that your head, for selfish reasons feel that they will have to act on OH's suggestions and drag things out and they wanted you out? I am being very cynical here.

Having said that I know quite a few people on this forum said that their school 'ignored' these recommendations anyway. I personally felt the OH was more helpful than my gp in terms of helping my recovery.

4. I agree in all my dealings with Occupational Health they have been extremely helpful and supportive and certainly nothing that will go against me.