1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

occupational health

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Imagomundi, Apr 4, 2012.

1. I have been advised by my school to have occupational health support as I have been absent due to stress. Does anyone know what this will entail? Is it a good move ? am Feeling a bit paranoid!

2. I have been advised by my school to have occupational health support as I have been absent due to stress. Does anyone know what this will entail? Is it a good move ? am Feeling a bit paranoid!

3. Referral to Occ Health is usually an element in the school's management of attendance policy. If a teacher is absent for any length of time the employer is required by the policy to provide access to occupational health staff as a form of support. The staff are invariably medical professionals independent of, but contracted to, the Local Authority. It's usually the case that confidentiality is respected. It's not usually optional on your part to attend if it's required by the school/'s management of attendance policy. I'm not aware of any cases where teachers were disadvantaged by attending, and often many seem to find it beneficial, although it's by no means unknown for teachers to find it's neither helpful or useful. But you should not feel unduly concerned.

4. Thank you for this - much appreciated.

5. Really good post by iconoclastic. To the OP, I'd imagine that OT will be very helpful for you following a period of stress and absence from work. You will most likely attend a few sessions and come out of it with productive and positive strategies for dealing with stress and probably with a new hobby such as swimming, cycling or with a gym membership. Hope it goes well!

6. Georgia99

Georgia99 New commenter

I had to talk to occupational health after a car accident. I had minor neck problems but the school insisted I have a referral. For me it involved discussing my condition with a nurse by telephone. She told me that I required a specific type of chair and recorded that it should have ongoing impact on my attendance. That conversation was before Christmas, the chair has never arrived.

7. Be very cautious! There have been cases where a HT succeeded in influencing the OH process to the detriment of their employees. Always ensure that you are given full access to the content of your referral, if necessary via an access request.

8. You must attend because you can be required to, if you refuse. The unions encourage you to attend. Think of it as an opportunity to put forward your reasons for your stress. If it is bullying/work load, then mention it and have it included in the note.
    Take a couple of
    good examples of their treatment of you. You will also get a chance to review
    the draft letter and make factual substantive changes. If you ahve already been diagnosed with WRS, then mention that to OH and have it recorded.

9. iam working on occupational hazards of teaching community, i want you people support in future

10. Torey

Torey Occasional commenter

Georgia. Unfortunately OH only make recommendations. Chase it up and if your situation is ongoing contact access to work.

11. Torey

Torey Occasional commenter

And just checked the date and realised a poster has resurrected an old post for some unknown reason.

12. ??

13. annelda72

annelda72 New commenter

I tried to start a new post but couldn't type from my smart phone. I have a referral to Occupational Health due to recently (October) disclosing mild RRMS. The first response on here was useful for background.

I have seen my head's referral with input from HR. My head says it's wise to be on their books just in case my condition worsens and that it may help. I feel it's a 'covering their backs' exercise - if it is so useful why wasn't it done as soon as I disclosed formally. 4 months later...

Any advice about occupational health would be gratefully received.

14. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

Occupational health is not a threat. It is there to support you in your workplace and can advise your place of employment of adjustments that may need to be made in order for you to be fit to undertake your role effectively. You could have requested a referral earlier if you wanted one, but it is a positive thing that your head has now, knowing about your condition referred you.