1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Occupational Health Referral

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by TattyCoram15, Jan 11, 2020.

1. TattyCoram15

TattyCoram15 New commenter

Hello,

I have previously posted about my ill-health (PTSD). I have been signed off work for a further month but now I have received a letter from my school’s Trust saying I have now been referred to Occupational Health and they would like a medical report from my GP.

I am now feeling very anxious about it all. What do OH do? It implies on the letter if I don’t comply with the medical request etc it will
    ‘prejudice’ my case.

Can anyone with any understanding/ experience of how OH works and what I should do now? I’m not due to return to work until Friday 7th Feb.

Many thanks.

2. strawbs

strawbs Established commenter

I would view OH referrals as helpful. You will meet with a health professional who will discuss your situation with you. In my experience the focus is on helping you get back to work, and what reasonable adjustments your employer could be asked to make to support you with this.
    Here is union advice: https://neu.org.uk/advice/medical-assessments-while-employment

3. lynneseptember

lynneseptember Senior commenter

I agree with strawbs. I, too, had a referral (it's going back a few years now), and like you, I was worried about it, but I needn't have been. The person I saw was very supportive and helpful and I never felt that OH was working for the benefit of the employer, but rather with the aim of helping me get back to work with systems in place when I was ready to go back. I hope this reassures you.

strawbs likes this.