1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Occupational health referral for therapy/counselling

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by bob_the_tom8to, Nov 9, 2017.

1. bob_the_tom8to

bob_the_tom8to New commenter

Does anyone have experience of an occupational health referral? I'm not well because of my mental health/eating disorder since the birth of my daughter. I talked to my headteacher today (we have a good relationship and one of her daughters had anorexia when she was a teenager so I feel like she understands a little). I explained how much I'm struggling and how I'm on waiting lists for therapy through my GP but I've been told that it could be 18 months for 1:1 therapy. (My situation is complicated and my GP and I have exhausted many other avenues of therapy but because of the severity of my symptoms this is our only option).

My headteacher suggested referring me through occupational health to see whether there is any support available sooner. My concern is that my ability to teach may be brought into question if occupational health get involved and I feel like I am good at what I do and I don't want to lose that. My headteacher said that it's up to me and just to let her know if I want to be referred. Any advice would be greatly appreciated thank you xxx

2. Toffypops

Toffypops New commenter

Hiya bob,
    Sorry to hear you are feeling low. I was referred to occupational health last year after being signed off with depression/anxiety. The lady I saw was just brilliant and referred me for therapy-my GP had also put me on a waiting list but I faced a wait of months, so the occ health professional suggested if I went through them I would get seen sooner...like you I was worried about the implications of going but honestly it was just the best thing. I got seen within 2 weeks and had 3 sessions and they really helped me see how I could get better. Nearly a year on, I'm in a much better place and am so grateful that I was seen and helped so quickly. My advice to you is to grab the opportunity with both hands....at the end of the day your mental health is so precious that anything you can access to help it is well worth it. Good luck and I hope it helps you feel better soon xx

Lazycat and strawbs like this.
  3. bob_the_tom8to

bob_the_tom8to New commenter

Thank you so much for sharing your experience of occupational health. I'm so glad to hear that it was a positive experience for you. Did you only have 3 sessions in total? Was there scope for more or are they limited in what they can offer? Thanks again for sharing xxx

4. Toffypops

Toffypops New commenter

Hiya-I was offered 3 sessions so took them-not sure if I could have had more or not. Maybe ask them? X

5. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Lead commenter

Hi bob. I don't have personal experience, but a colleague and close friend does and speaks very highly of the support she had and is still receiving. She was off work for several months with a very serious physical illness, as a result of which she became very anxious about returning to work and her mental health suffered. As part of her phased return, HT asked if she would like an OH referral. She accepted and says they have been really useful and have helped put other therapies and support networks in place. At no time has she felt that her ability to teach has been questioned. I'm not sure how many sessions she has had - but I think it's more than three. Good luck and I hope you get the help you need very soon x

6. Mazod

Mazod Occasional commenter

My husband (also a teacher) is going through this just now after a major bereavement and has had a positive experience.