1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Occupational health pre employment

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Lea30hope, Jul 6, 2015.

1. just after a bit of information please. I've just completed my PGCE primary and start my new job in September. I put on my medical form that I used to suffer with mild anxiety. I'm not on any medication and this has never interfered with my ability to do my job. Before the interview I spoke with my GP as I was very nervous and was suffering with palpitations, he gave me beta blockers to take before the interview to calm my nerves. I only took them for this purpose only and don't need them for anything else.

Anyway, I've just got a call from occupational Heath and I need to go and have an assessment. I'm so worried that my job will be taken away from me. I had an OH telephone assessment before starting the course and that was obviously fine. Anyone been in a similar situation?

2. I assume you have already been for your assessment but thought I would share my experience anyway.

I had to have a pre assessment due to an underlying medical condition and I mentioned during my assessment that no alterations needed to be made for me during my PGCE and that was the end of the matter. Its just so that any risk assessment or support system can be put in place for you, they can't refuse to employ you unless it creates a significant risk to yourself/ colleagues/ pupils.