1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Occupational Health Assessment

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by Yamin96, May 14, 2020.

1. Hello - I hope everyone reading this is well.

I have just submitted my Occupational Health Assessment. I plan to start my teaching career in secondary education in September (Good time to start, I know!).

I have been as transparent as possible through the assessment as I don't like fibbing on these sorts of things. 99% of the questions I answered no to with regard to health issues. However, one question, which was based on whether I had ever experienced blackouts/epilepsy, I ticked yes and I explained that when I was a child I experienced very rare blackouts/fainting, maybe once every 2 years which lasted 5 years. I was tested and the results were inconclusive. I have not had any of these experiences since the age of 12 and been perfectly healthy throughout my teens/adult life.

My question is, will this be pulled up or inhibit my chances of teaching come September? I presumed it wouldn't as it has been over 10 years since this last event and they were very rare, not seizures, and not diagnosed as epilepsy or anything like that. However, as I've already handed in my notice at my current position, the anxiety has hit and I am wondering whether this could be an issue? Overthinking and all that...

What do you all think?

Thank you.

2. 43Meadows

43Meadows New commenter

I don’t see it as an issue, occ health will ring and discuss with you. Your new employer has a duty of care to you as well as everyone else so they will need to follow up what you disclosed. Don’t fret about it.

3. rolls

rolls Occasional commenter

No, it should have no impact at all. If you have not had a seizure for over three years it should not even be considered. If you were still having seizures you would still be entitled to a place on the course under the Equality Act and the provider would need to look at reasonable adjustments to help you complete the course.