1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Occupational Health Assessment and Mental Health

Discussion in 'Staff, pupil & parent's wellbeing' started by EleonoraM, May 10, 2020.

1. EleonoraM

EleonoraM New commenter

Hi,
    I'm about to start my PGDE with UCL through Teach First to become a Secondary English teacher. This means that whilst I gain my QTS, I will be teaching 60% of a timetable from September.
    I've just paid for my DBS and my Occupational Health Assessment and am worried about what to expect.
    As a teenager I suffered from Anorexia Nervosa until I was about 21 (on and off). I was never hospitalised for Anorexia luckily and was never force fed etc, I just did some CBT when I was 18 and went to see various nutritionists when I was 20.
    Since then, my weight has been fine and I've had no issues at all with eating disorders. However, a long lasting residue from the entire experience has been anxiety and depression which mainly manifests itself as insomnia. I don't suffer panic attacks or bad depressive episodes however I've been on Mirtazapine (45mg) for the past 2.5 years to help me sleep (and stimulate my appetite). Since then, I did one round of CBT summer of 2018 and that was it.
    I'm otherwise healthy and fit and don't feel like this will disrupt my ability to teach as my anxieties aren't social, they're very much focused on my own health and food etc.
    I'm certainly no good liar and I don't want to lie about anything but I'm so scared that this will revoke my offer. Any thoughts?

gold19951 likes this.
  2. crumbleskates

crumbleskates New commenter

I highly doubt this will be an issue. When we appoint we look at how well a condition is managed and controlled.

gold19951 likes this.
  3. Abitofeverything

Abitofeverything Occasional commenter

I think you're over-thinking it. Many teachers and trainee teachers will be on antidepressant or anxiety medication. Tell the truth if asked, and good luck!

4. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

I think your anxiety is telling you to worry, not anything rational.
    You used to suffer from (seemingly fairly mild) anorexia.
    You no longer do.
    You are fit and healthy
    You take a fairly small dose of medication to keep things ticking along and are happy to continue to do so.
    Why on earth shouldn't you teach?

sunshineneeded and ACOYEAR8 like this.