1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Occupational health and gall stones

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by vroni22, Oct 22, 2019.

1. vroni22

vroni22 New commenter

Hi I work part time in a school. I have gall stones and although I am struggling I go into work. Unfortunately in the last 6 months I’ve probably had about 10-12 days off due mainly to the gall stones but also a bug. I am being referred to occupational health should I be worried that I am in danger of losing my job. Obviously when you are sick or gastric you have to take48 hours off even if you are feeling better. Sometimes I didn’t know if the sickness was due to the stone or a bug. I have told the school what is happening and that I am down for an op.

2. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Lead commenter

I've had dealings with OH twice in 30 plus years in school - once when I returned following a hysterectomy and also after several weeks off with family stress when my daughter was seriously ill. Both times they were very supportive. Husband has also been referred (he's not in education) after surgery some years ago and, more recently, on his return to part-time work after stroke recovery. His experience was the same as mine - he needed a lot of support and changes to his job description and working environment after the stroke. OH helped him with this.
    Don't be too worried - our experience of OH was very positive. Hope you don't have to wait too long for your op.