1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

occupational health an medical records

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by vickyrae1970, Mar 19, 2012.

1. vickyrae1970

vickyrae1970 New commenter

i posted the other day about being signed off sick with stress and anxiety . i hae spoken to my union about an oh appointment i have this week and been told they may want access to my medical records from my gp . i feel really unnerved by this and was advised it would be in my interests to give permission . i am not comfortable with a stranger picking over details of my medical history at all as the gps i have had i have known for years . any advice ?

2. vickyrae1970

i posted the other day about being signed off sick with stress and anxiety . i hae spoken to my union about an oh appointment i have this week and been told they may want access to my medical records from my gp . i feel really unnerved by this and was advised it would be in my interests to give permission . i am not comfortable with a stranger picking over details of my medical history at all as the gps i have had i have known for years . any advice ?

3. chriszwinter1

chriszwinter1 New commenter

Depends on whether it helps you or not. My inclination would be to say no.

4. vickyrae1970

that was my feeling as well as obviously some things on my medical records are intensely personal . however can i specify that i am happy for them to discuss or talk to my current gp about my current situaton ?

5. I would say no. I wasn't asked to give such permission when sent to OH. if you had requested to see OH, it might be different, but if the school insists on you seeing them, be cautious, I would say don't agree.

6. vickyrae1970

thanks . my thoughts exactly . i did ask to see oh however i thought that was the best thing to do at the time . just worried about the whole thing .

7. chocolateworshipper

chocolateworshipper Occasional commenter

I have a feeling that you can request to see any information from the GP BEFORE it is passed on. You would need to check that you have the option of refusing to allow it to be passed on.

8. Torey

Torey Occasional commenter

You give permission for your GP to write a letter. You don't give permission for them to see your medical records and only a court could order you to do this. You ask to see the report before it goes out and you can request for changes to be made. You have to go to the surgery to see it or they send it anyway. As long as you were honest on your application then this won't be a problem.

9. rosievoice

rosievoice Star commenter

I would have a word with your GP, and tell him/her about OH's desire to access your medical records. Be forthright in your refusal. There is an Access to Medical Records Act 1998, but I doubt if this has to be invoked over a poorly teacher.
    Occy health may want further information about your illness, have you suffered from stress before, etc. My ex-employers wanted such information in a report from my GP. He was pure gold, and would not write a word without my approval.
    If one's employer pays for an NHS GP's report on an employer, you must specifically state if you want to see it when it is completed, and then give the go ahead for it to be sent out. You can refuse consent for certain information to be given, eg, personal or irrelevant details.